MozillaZine

Ted's PGO build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Ken_F
 
Posts: 15
Joined: June 15th, 2007, 11:20 pm

Post Posted February 23rd, 2008, 4:38 pm

Ted,

Would you consider building a SSE2 version with /arch: SSE2 ?

matias
 
Posts: 26
Joined: November 25th, 2004, 6:35 pm

Post Posted February 23rd, 2008, 4:49 pm

Ted, could you make a new build with lastest trunk please? ... some pages doesn't look and work as it should (example: deluge-torrent.org ... some options on top menu are broken)
Thanks!.

Ted Mielczarek
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:32 am
Location: PA

Post Posted February 23rd, 2008, 5:04 pm

Ken_F: I'm pretty busy doing other work, so I don't have time to produce custom builds. I made these while working on the build patches to get this into the tree. I wrote that MDC document above, so anyone who can build Mozilla should be able to easily produce custom builds with PGO now. You might ask someone who already produces such builds.

matias: Rob Sayre just checked in a tinderbox config patch to enable PGO on nightly builds and clobbered, so tonight's respin and tomorrow's nightly should be PGOed, unless something goes wrong!

matias
 
Posts: 26
Joined: November 25th, 2004, 6:35 pm

Post Posted February 23rd, 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm happy to read this Ted.
Thanks so much!.
Greetings.

orizng

User avatar
 
Posts: 693
Joined: November 8th, 2002, 7:25 pm
Location: DALLAS,TX

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 9:22 am

any chance for a mac build?

also, are these changes going to be incorporated into official build by firefox 3?

Ted Mielczarek
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:32 am
Location: PA

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Mac builds are...hard. I tried, but I haven't yet successfully produced one. I may revisit this at some point, but it's not likely to make Firefox 3.

We're trying to get this enabled on Linux and Win32 nightlies, you can follow along in bugs 418866 and 418865, respectively.

reeper
 
Posts: 42
Joined: May 22nd, 2003, 12:17 pm

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
matias: Rob Sayre just checked in a tinderbox config patch to enable PGO on nightly builds and clobbered, so tonight's respin and tomorrow's nightly should be PGOed, unless something goes wrong!


Hi,

does this mean that PGO is enabled on nightlies on an ongoing basis now or would it just have been from the nightly from the 24th?

thanks

OldSkoOL
 
Posts: 39
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 7:10 am
Location: Posts: 1,526,849

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 2:21 pm

reeper wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:
matias: Rob Sayre just checked in a tinderbox config patch to enable PGO on nightly builds and clobbered, so tonight's respin and tomorrow's nightly should be PGOed, unless something goes wrong!


Hi,

does this mean that PGO is enabled on nightlies on an ongoing basis now or would it just have been from the nightly from the 24th?

thanks


It says in that bug thread

"1) This is being proposed for nightly/clobber builds, as well as
hourly/incremental builds as well as release builds."

Suggesting that if fully working - all mentioned versions will be built with it.

tqft

User avatar
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 11:57 pm

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Will report on building ff PGO myself eventually.

Ran last night, did the profile building this morning as per instructions linked on prev page, build failed due to jemalloc error. tried again this morning won't get as far as starting ff in the build process (or does it only do this once?)

gcc specs in case it helps as per bug suggestion

ian@tqft:/media/sdb2/mozilla$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Ted Mielczarek
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:32 am
Location: PA

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 4:39 pm

tqft: right, see the bug, I just checked in a fix for that.

PGO is not enabled for any official nightlies right now. We tried but backed it out. You can see the bugs I mentioned above for details.

Also, I had to do some testing, and wound up with another PGOed Win32 build:
http://people.mozilla.com/~tmielczarek/ ... .win32.zip

Consider it a freebie :-)

It's not profiled the same as the previous build, so perf characteristics may vary.

Sammo

User avatar
 
Posts: 294
Joined: November 25th, 2002, 7:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Ted Mielczarek wrote:tqft: right, see the bug, I just checked in a fix for that.

PGO is not enabled for any official nightlies right now. We tried but backed it out. You can see the bugs I mentioned above for details.

Also, I had to do some testing, and wound up with another PGOed Win32 build:
http://people.mozilla.com/~tmielczarek/ ... .win32.zip

Consider it a freebie :-)

It's not profiled the same as the previous build, so perf characteristics may vary.


This one crashes and burns. :(
- Sammo -

jimhsu77479
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 25th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 6:31 pm

I had to create an account to post this, but wow this build (OP) is fast.

Ted Mielczarek
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:32 am
Location: PA

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Sammo: it WFM, but it crashes on shutdown. Probably the same sqlite crash.

Sammo

User avatar
 
Posts: 294
Joined: November 25th, 2002, 7:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Post Posted February 25th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Sammo: it WFM, but it crashes on shutdown. Probably the same sqlite crash.


Hi Ted,

It seems to have the same problem that tete's early build had - no bookmarks, navigation not working right, etc.
- Sammo -

Ted Mielczarek
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:32 am
Location: PA

Post Posted February 26th, 2008, 4:18 am

By "No bookmarks" I assume you mean on a fresh profile? That's filed, I see that with trunk builds too. Not sure what you mean by "navigation not working", I haven't extensively tested it, but I'm able to browse around with it and I don't see anything obviously wrong.

Return to Third Party/Unofficial Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests