Mozilla 1.7b Linux XFT+GTK build available

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
fjleal

Mozilla 1.7b Linux XFT+GTK build available

Post by fjleal »

Greetings!

I've compiled Mozilla 1.7b for Linux with support for XFT fonts and GTK.
The binary is available at http://www.ingeniumatica.com/downloads/ ... k2.tar.bz2

Hope it may be useful... ;)
Last edited by fjleal on April 4th, 2004, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeceezee

tarball

Post by geeceezee »

It would be nice to make a tarball from the *directory*, not the files... I just unpacked it in /opt, and instead of a mozilla directory I got all the files unpacked in /opt, what a mess!
fjleal

Post by fjleal »

I always create a new directory for extracting, so there's no need to include the first directory in the tarball... Sorry about that.
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

Thank you! I downloaded the official build, forgetting that it wasn't XFT+GTK2 and I was MAD when I remembered (after I was done downloading it of course). Will there be an official one?

Oh well, either way, I can now use it happily, fonts look so much nicer!
Neil
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

steeler fan for life wrote:Thank you! I downloaded the official build, forgetting that it wasn't XFT+GTK2 and I was MAD when I remembered (after I was done downloading it of course). Will there be an official one?

Oh well, either way, I can now use it happily, fonts look so much nicer!

I allways install the contributed RPM, I think it's not neither XFT nor GTK enhanced. What am I missng? Fonts look antialiased anyway.
fjleal

Post by fjleal »

fedetxf wrote:I allways install the contributed RPM, I think it's not neither XFT nor GTK enhanced. What am I missng? Fonts look antialiased anyway.

Ummm... I never installed the 'contributed' build... I really don't know if it's XFT enabled... But once you alreday have it, why don't you try copying the XTF+GTK version to another directory and running if from there? This way, you can check for differences between each build by entering 'about:buildconfig' on the URL.
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

Good idea. I'll download it when it gets to 1.7 and try...
paulus

Re: Mozilla 1.7b Linux XFT+GTK build available

Post by paulus »

fjleal wrote:Greetings!

I've compiled Mozilla 1.7b for Linux with support for XFT fonts and GTK.
The binary is available at http://www.ingeniumatica.com/mozilla-i6 ... k2.tar.bz2

Hope it may be useful... ;)

Great job, indeed!

But... I only want the navigator. How to get rid of the rest? Is it possible?

Paul
fjleal

Post by fjleal »

paulus wrote:But... I only want the navigator. How to get rid of the rest? Is it possible?

Mozilla is a suite of programs (several programs that share a common code base). If you only want the browser, you probably should get Firefox (check http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ). Give it a try. ;)
raj_bhaskar

Re: Mozilla 1.7b Linux XFT+GTK build available

Post by raj_bhaskar »

paulus wrote:But... I only want the navigator. How to get rid of the rest? Is it possible?

If you're using the installer, do a Custom install and deselect all components except Navigator.
paulus

Post by paulus »

fjleal wrote:

Mozilla is a suite of programs (several programs that share a common code base). If you only want the browser, you probably should get Firefox (check http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ). Give it a try. ;)

No! I am quite happy with the version provide by you. It looks great on the screen!

Paul
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

paulus wrote:No! I am quite happy with the version provide by you. It looks great on the screen

Screenshot? Let me seeeeee!!!!!
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

Hey I extracted the tar.bz2 and recompressed it with 7-zip on windows. I got a 9.737.602 bytes file. The original bz2 was 12.763.075 bytes.
I took about 10 minutes and during compression 300MB of ram where in use. But totally worth it if somebody is on dial up. I think we need a linux port for 7-zip soon!!!
fjleal

Post by fjleal »

fedetxf wrote:Hey I extracted the tar.bz2 and recompressed it with 7-zip on windows. I got a 9.737.602 bytes file. The original bz2 was 12.763.075 bytes.
I took about 10 minutes and during compression 300MB of ram where in use. But totally worth it if somebody is on dial up. I think we need a linux port for 7-zip soon!!!

Somthing like http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/ ? ;)

Oops!, sorry! It's a Windows-only application. Because it was on SourceForge, I assumed it would run on *nixes... :(
I'll check the source code, see if it can be easily ported... :-k

EDIT: It can't. At least, not easily. It's a lot of C++ code... :(
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

In the forum there's a guy trying to port it, but from his comments, I think the 7-zip developper has great knowledge of compression algorithms but is not specially interested in code quality. Even now his main focus is adding functionality so the file format is still unstable.