Requesting G5/I586/Pentium 1 mmx Linux Builds?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

Known bug... This is why I left trunk code until this bug is killed. See this bug for more info : it breaks every trunk (mozilla, firefox and thunderbird) builds.

Bug 242768
MozJF
ajax

Post by ajax »

Thanks for the great build I just wanted to know if there anything that can be done during the build to make it hog less memory and processor?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

ajax wrote:there is a serious bug in your build the browser just closes automatically after it finishes downloading a file :(

I doubt the problem is specific to MozJF's build. Does it always happen when you download a file?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

It is a bug related to some gtk2 source code support on trunk. One the nastiest regression I've ever seen in nearly 3 years with mozilla.
MozJF
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MozJF wrote:It is a bug related to some gtk2 source code support on trunk. One the nastiest regression I've ever seen in nearly 3 years with mozilla.

Does it mean all builds are affected? Is there an easy way to reproduce it?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
ajax

Post by ajax »

Just download any file and after the download is complete thebrowser will disappear
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

And under mozilla mailnews / thunderbird : just create a test message (you send it to yourself), and see thunderbird / mailnews committing suicide :[
MozJF
istoyanov

Post by istoyanov »

I would greatly appreciate a i586 optimized firefox branch build...

Yes, I noticed the link posted by MozJF, but the file was not available anymore :o(

Several months ago when my box was still running Win*ows, I requested an optimized build for my VIA C3 processor, and thanks to MozJF I had the best Firebird experience ever!!! Now I migrated to Linux, but my machine is way too slow to start building myself (if I had the knowledge how to do that), so I would like to request a build...

BTW, I am running Slackware 9.1.
According to this post the recommended gcc flags should be:

Code: Select all

CFLAGS=" -march=i586 -m3dnow -mmmx -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
and

CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"

Cheers!
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

I will do one based on AVIARY branch as soon as possible. It would be done in something like 3 hours from now
MozJF
istoyanov

Post by istoyanov »

HUGE THANKS, MozJF!!!

This build runs CONSIDERABLY faster on my machine than the official one (under Win*ows the difference wasn't that BIG)!

Just to note: When I first started ``./firefox &'' from the console, I got following output:

istoyanov@eden[~/firefox]$ ./firefox &
[1] 505
istoyanov@eden[~/firefox]$ nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** eeeeeeee = [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///home/istoyanov/firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js :: ensureExtensionsFiles :: line 217"  data: no]
*** loading the extensions datasource

Otherwise it works O.K.

Cheers

P.S. Would it be a problem if I ask you later for such a customized build again?
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

istoyanov wrote:HUGE THANKS, MozJF!!!

This build runs CONSIDERABLY faster on my machine than the official one (under Win*ows the difference wasn't that BIG)!

Windows code cannot be really optimized

Just to note: When I first started ``./firefox &'' from the console, I got following output:

istoyanov@eden[~/firefox]$ ./firefox &
[1] 505
istoyanov@eden[~/firefox]$ nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** eeeeeeee = [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///home/istoyanov/firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js :: ensureExtensionsFiles :: line 217"  data: no]
*** loading the extensions datasource

Otherwise it works O.K.

First message is related to authentification code. You need a kerberos package.

Cheers

P.S. Would it be a problem if I ask you later for such a customized build again?

No, of course. Just tell me if you want a simple gtk or a gtk2+xft enabled build, without forgetting to precise optimization line ;o)
Last edited by MozJF on May 18th, 2004, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MozJF
istoyanov

Post by istoyanov »

O.K., MozJF!!!

Thanks again,

``see'' you later!

Cheers
darkonc

Post by darkonc »

I have a build for RedHat 8 on 586/mmx...

the build, and the scripts that I used to generate it are at:
http://www.bcgreen.com/mozilla/
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

A simple note : in order to get a clean build, instead of using :

echo "Building distribution tarball..."
if [ -f dist/bin/firefox-bin ]; then
cd xpinstall/packager
make -j3 MOZ_PKG_APPNAME=firefox MOZILLA_BIN="\$(DIST)/bin/firefox-bin" || exit
fi
echo "done."

Try :

echo "Building distribution tarball..."
if [ -f dist/bin/firefox-bin ]; then
cd browser/installer
make -j3 MOZ_PKG_APPNAME=firefox MOZILLA_BIN="\$(DIST)/bin/firefox-bin" || exit
fi
echo "done."
MozJF
istoyanov

Post by istoyanov »

After two days of really INTENSIVE browsing with the i586-MozJF-build, I noticed hat the browser periodically becomes quite sluggish, and the only way to get it back as fast as usual is to restart it:(

Since I'm browsing with multiple (10+) tabs open, the restart procedure is rather unconvinient -- I have to bookmark all the opened pages etc. -- so I decided to ask for an optimized (as the previous one GTK2+XFT) build of Firefox 0.8 (stable).

Or am I aksing too much?