0.6 Final O2 SSE2 build with standard artwork?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
The Q

0.6 Final O2 SSE2 build with standard artwork?

Post by The Q »

Has anyone built a Pentium 4 optimised version of Thunderbird 0.6 Final using the O2 and SSE2 options, but with standard artwork and not MozJF's?

I used to use swalker's excellent builds but he seems to have disappeared from this board.
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

Why ? My artworks stinks or what ? ;o)
MozJF
task

Post by task »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

I personally think the newer artwork is better, but as nobody else has offered, I will recompile and re-package a version of my Win32 0.6Final with the standard artwork. Will post it in a hour of so... at the same URL as my other build.
The Q

Post by The Q »

Thanks mgillespie!

MozJF, your artwork is fine, but I prefer the old envelope style ones better, is all. That's the beauty of open source though - we all have choices that wouldn't present themselves if the product were closed to outside changes. I also looked at Freebird but didn't like that artwork as much as the standard either, if it's any consolation ;)

Regardless of my personal taste in icons, thankyou to everyone who works on this great program!
Last edited by The Q on May 7th, 2004, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
scragz

Post by scragz »

Mine was built with standard artwork. The new artwork isn't usable due to copyright/trademark/whatever reasons; don't you remember when this happened with Firefox?
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

No idea Scragz, sorry. Can you tell in short what happened for the newer 'members of the club'??

This is may be a point; it would be nice to know a little more about the history of Mozilla without reading all those pages on the internet.
It would be nice if there was a shortlist somewhere....
But may be it already is available and I am talking b@lls%4t now...

Jan.
The Q

Post by The Q »

scragz, I actually looked at your builds but unless I missed it, I only saw options for O2 G6 with no SSE or SSE2 listings, or O1 SSE2 which according to the definitions of O1 and O2 is build for size not speed.

O2 SSE2 using G7 seems to run the fastest on my Pentium 4 3.2GHz so that's what I try to use if possible. Thanks to the excellent efforts of mgillespie, it has indeed been made possible!

Just so everyone knows, I have now run the standard artwork installer build of 0.6 Final from mgillespie, and it indeed the fastest of the bunch. I love the installer too, since it allows me to choose the folder for installation (I use C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird as per the proper official installer) as well as keeping the size down.

Well done!
Get my current Proxomitron filters and Firefox CSS files here.
scragz

Post by scragz »

fast sjonny wrote:No idea Scragz, sorry. Can you tell in short what happened for the newer 'members of the club'??

The new official artwork is not licensed for anyone to use and is reserved exclusively for official mozilla.org builds. By using it in your own build and then distributing that build, you are infinging on their copyright to that artwork and they could bring a civil suit against you.

The Q wrote:scragz, I actually looked at your builds but unless I missed it, I only saw options for O2 G6 with no SSE or SSE2 listings, or O1 SSE2 which according to the definitions of O1 and O2 is build for size not speed.

Sorry, I misread your post. My main point was about the artwork.
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

Can someone clarify this?

I noticed that when I built my SSE2 builds, it had the old artwork, so I simply copied in the new artwork, and assumed it was a mistake on the 0.6 Final source zip. Are we suggesting it was intentional?

If I have done something bad, I apoligise to Moz team....