Should Unofficial Builds topic be split into apps?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
The Q

Should Unofficial Builds topic be split into apps?

Post by The Q »

Having just seen this new topic forum with all the unofficial builds lumped in together, I have to say that my view of proper useability would be to have a fifth topic under each application header entitled "Unofficial Builds" or some such.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to set a vote on this, so please put forward your opinion by responding below. I figure that given the open nature of these forums, it is the members who should ultimately decide which way is better.

In the end the maxim of "Form Follows Function" should apply. Having four topics per header simply to make the front page look "balanced" seems a bit silly when the result is a mish mash of different application builds in one forum when people may only be interested in one particular app.

I stand ready to be corrected, shot down or supported :)
DurianCS

Post by DurianCS »

Fully agree. I don't like the removal of the unofficial builds into a separate category. But at least they should stick to the official builds closer than what 's happening now. So making a fifth topic under each application, as you suggest, seems to be the right compromise.

CS
Durian, King of Fruits
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8a6) Gecko/20041227 Firefox/1.0+ (bangbang023)
TB version 1.0 (20041225)
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

I don't even think unofficial builds should have a dedicated forum, let alone split them in 2 again.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Agree. See my post in the original forum.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Further, I think it is time to give Calendar/Sunbird its own forum. Enough playing around with it in extensions, firefox, and thunderbird. It is an important application, and deserves to get more attention. With more attention, it might draw more unofficial builders, and maybe some more people who will work on its code!
skrivis

Post by skrivis »

Lohvarn wrote:I don't even think unofficial builds should have a dedicated forum, let alone split them in 2 again.

I tend to agree, although it could be useful since some people want to stick with the official builds and some don't.

People who run the official builds would probably rather not have to see threads dealing with unofficial builds and/or bugs that might be specific to a given unofficial build.

People who use unofficial builds are probably happy with the way things were. :-)

This new way of dividing things is very confusing. It plain doesn't work.

Also, what if I want to discuss a possible bug in a daily build of, say, Tbird and I happen to be running an unofficial build?

Do I post in the Tbird builds area? In the unofficial forum? What if the bug turns out to be specific to an unofficial build? Or it turns out to be an overall bug that effects everyone? Is somebody going to play janitor and keep moving threads to the right place?

You could create a bunch of new areas, one per product, for unofficial builds. That would at least be more usable, and it would keep the threads announcing updates to Jane Doe's unofficial Firebird from jumping up to the top of the Firebird Builds forum and annoying people who don't care about unofficial builds.

A suspected bug with a specific unofficial build would probably be discussed in the announcement thread - which is generally what's been done so far.

Any bug or problem that's more general in nature goes in the regular Builds forum.

I think we need to ask why the new unofficial forum was created. What wasn't working out? Who benefits from the new forum?

I feel, as a user of unofficial builds, that I've now been sent to my room, away from all the other "official" users.
ByTor201

Post by ByTor201 »

I for one was very happy with the forums the way they were. I see no need to separate the unofficial builds from "Firefox Builds." They are after all, Firefox Builds. If there must be a separation, there should be an unofficial builds category under Firefox.
Last edited by ByTor201 on May 12th, 2004, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
gahbmwM5

Post by gahbmwM5 »

mmoy wrote:

"The disadvantage of a split board is that I will have to go to two places to get Peter's information and who's doing what with unofficial builds."

Yes agreed here, oh well I guess that I will get more comfortable with this new forum format in time...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0b7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b7
chob

Post by chob »

agree. Thunderbird, Mozilla Suite and Firebird should all have their own forums in the proper place (ie: not under ''Other Applications and Products'')

The reason that they're not (because it'll make the website look messy or something) is not an excuse, more like a limp-wristed justification for keeping 4 forums per heading.

Having said that, it's not a big deal really.
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

I agree with most of the points skrivis brought up. To me the best would have been for unofficial builders to stick to one single thread. At some points we had a first page filled with 2 or 3 different threads for the same builders. Currently that's not really an issue so I really question the move to a separate board.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

skrivis wrote:...
A suspected bug with a specific unofficial build would probably be discussed in the announcement thread - which is generally what's been done so far.

Any bug or problem that's more general in nature goes in the regular Builds forum.

I think we need to ask why the new unofficial forum was created. What wasn't working out? Who benefits from the new forum?

I was wondering the exact same thing, and hit "reply" before even seeing you ask the question.

What was so broken it needed to be moved?

Here is an excerpt of something I sent someone who asked me a question in a private message:

"...It just seems that the unofficial builds and builders are not getting a fair shake, and the "official" ones seem to be heading more and more towards a corporation. I have the feeling they will eventually close the source, close the doors, and turn this into a for-profit thing at everyone else's expense. Can't say as I blame them, but I have other things to do with my time...."

Also, see what I wrote on the same basic thread from the old forum:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=76154
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Me too.They should add another 5th topic.At least they dont go far away from the offical ones.

Imagine all the post that related to unoffical build will put in same forum thread,Firefox,Thunder Birds,SeaMonkey etc.....uuuhhh!!!! you have to used an extra eyes to read all the post one by one very closed!!!!!.Just to see one products that you looking for...????

BTW is it to hard to add up another 5th topic for unoffical ones?

You have my voted The Q :wink:
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Edit : Ooooppppsss double post..sorry :)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

For that matter, there should be separate forums for linux, mac, Win32 for each application.
Kerrick

Post by Kerrick »

Seems like the only people in favor of the split are...um...well, no one who's posted here, unless i'm missing someone.

This board is alot more cluttered than the previous method of organization, now at least I have to look in two places to compare an official with an unnofficial, and I have to sort through builds from all apps instead of seeign the official release and three or four optimized ones near each other on the page

As i said in sasquatch's previous thread, what's the point?
PM for Gmail invites (50ish left)