Lohvarn: Best Yet

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Carson

Lohvarn: Best Yet

Post by Carson »

It's this one:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040513 Firefox/0.8.0+ (Lohvarn)
which is detailed as
2004-05-13-Trunk-Firefox-1.0+ (Lohvarn) GA-GL-G7-SSE2-m128-d-i-02.exe

My tests are detailed experiments with a lot of extensions. They're not technical, but if a build can even survive my initial compilation of extensions, it's doing well. The best builds I'd previously seen for this kind of work were Aebrahim's of several months ago, and several Stipes. None of the official builds have done too well under my tests, which require everything to work well in initial installs and later reliability at speed. "Everything" includes three or four dozen extensions, all working just right.

I keep Avant not far away, just to be annoying. Avant is good for keeping us honest. It's quick and reliable, although it doesn't compare to a sweet-working Firefox--when Firefox really delivers.

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure used to builds and extensions. In the last few days I noticed several of Lohvarn's builds getting better and better. I wanted to see his best work in a Trunk, to see what would happen with a few recent Firefox improvements. But there are also some pretty bad extension incompatibilities lurking about, and I was having trouble with those.

Then today I tried this Lohvarn. I've spent 8 hours on it now. If you're looking for a fast, reliable workhorse, you might want to check this one out. In my non-expert, subjective opinion, this is the best Firehawk/Firefox/Firebird build to have ever been produced.

Excellent work, Lohvarn.
Main box XP32 and XP64, using FF 3.6, K-Meleon, IE8, and OffByOne.
This is a home-built AMD Athlon x2 5600+, 8GB GSkill @ 800, 1.7TB on 4 SATAs, 3 ODD. No gaming; just a workhorse
Others in home Eee 901 with XP32 SP3; also Asus F3T with Vista
xveggiex

Post by xveggiex »

I agree.. this is definetly one of the best builds i've used in awhile.. good work.. thanks...
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

link?
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

- Sammo -
bcool

Post by bcool »

http://pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/lohvar ... 20(Lohvarn)%20GA-GL-G7-SSE2-m128-d-i-O2.exe
hope the link works for you sasquatch.

for me I find Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040513 Firefox/0.8.0+ GLA6 /arch:SSE /O2 very nice. Thank you Lohvarn! (now that you've explained your name, I can't get it out of my head. ugh! ](*,) )
Never let them see you sweat
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

bcool wrote:http://pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/lohvarn/2004-05-13-Branch-Firefox-0.8+%20(Lohvarn)%20GA-GL-G7-SSE2-m128-d-i-O2.exe
hope the link works for you sasquatch.

for me I find Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040513 Firefox/0.8.0+ GLA6 /arch:SSE /O2 very nice. Thank you Lohvarn! (now that you've explained your name, I can't get it out of my head. ugh! ](*,) )

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhh!

It just filled up my mozilla.org folder with junk! Sure the download worked fine, and the program seemed to start and work OK for the few seconds I tried it, but it sure took me by surprise after all the other installers I've used have created their own Firefox folder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a warning for anyone else.
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

LOL
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Seems peppy enough!!!

;-)
joey716

Post by joey716 »

Hey Lohvarn,

Glad to see that more people are starting to recognize your hard work. I respect everyone who puts effort into compiling builds and posting them here.

I have been using your builds for the last 2 months( maybe longer ) and I feel your builds work the best with my machine. I have an AthlonXp 3000+ but I do not use your SSE builds. The 02-GLA7's really work well for me.

Thanks
Whatever doesn't kill you, will make you stronger
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Not sure, but my Thunderbird now opens a new window when I click a link, rather than opening in the current window. This is how I prefer it. Actually, even better would be to open the web page in background, keeping in Thunderbird so I can delete the post with the link. Now I have to go back, then back again to Firefox to look at the link.
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

Filter for ddeexec in about:config and set the value to true.

Thanks Joey, although it really isn't much work. The initial setup can be, but once it's fully automated I don't have anything to do. Even patches only need to be downloaded, and then they are automatically picked up by the following build process.

Sorry if I ruined the whole mystique behind building Firefox :p
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Lohvarn wrote:Filter for ddeexec in about:config and set the value to true.

Thanks Joey, although it really isn't much work. The initial setup can be, but once it's fully automated I don't have anything to do. Even patches only need to be downloaded, and then they are automatically picked up by the following build process.

Sorry if I ruined the whole mystique behind building Firefox :p

Was that for me?

In Thunderbird or Firefox? Is this behavior something you changed in Firefox? Thanks.
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

It's in Firefox sorry.
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Hum, is there a way to get a 1.0+ build with SSE optimizations?
What will happen next? You never know.