How Can I Share Claendar with Group

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Budgie3

How Can I Share Claendar with Group

Post by Budgie3 »

First a word of praise for the Lighting calendar. It is one of only two calendar applications I have found (the other is KOrganizer,) which allows entry and display of tasks (VTODO) with associated data as well as the normal "events" while working in the calendar window, as opposed to a task list. We need this to help us see and manage maintenance tasks in between "events" when viewing the calendar. Lightning is excellent in this regard.

What we are looking for is a means to share a calendar between members of a group. Each member may be using a different OS platform, eg iOS, Android, Windoze and Linux so a web interface would be good or the ability to sync. between members of the group

I have looked at several on line services such as Fruux and KolabNow but neither of their subscription services appear to support fully the relevant standards and it is not possible to work on the calendar window as required.

Please could I have suggestions on the best solution, either from a groupware service which works as required or by setting up our own groupware server.
mgagnonlv

Re: How Can I Share Claendar with Group

Post by mgagnonlv »

You can't share a calendar from within Lightning. Basically, the solution is to have the calendar hosted somewhere and subscribe to it from within Thunderbird/Lightning. Here are a few ways to share it.

1. Use a Google Calendar that you share with group members. In Thunderbird/Lightning, install the extension "Provider for Google Calendar"; then subscribe to the calendar and Lightning will treat it like a local calendar.
Each group member will be able to use and access it either with Lightning, the web interface or their phone and will have whatever privileges you decide to give them in Google Calendar.
P.S. You need to set up the calendar and establish permissions within Google Calendar's web interface. Once that's done, you can do everything else in Lightning.

To connect to such a calendar in Lightning, select Lightning –> New Calendar –> Google.
When asked, enter your credentials and select your Google Calendar.

2. Use OwnCloud or some other collaborative platform that allows a WebCal connection.
Same process.

With an Exchange server, I think you may either connect using a WebCal address (I think; my experience with Exchange servers was long time ago) or using the "Exchange Calendar" extension.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hi and many thanks for the reply. We have tried Google Calendar and their site does not fully support the standards so tasks from within our calendar are lost and repeated tasks cannot be managed. Google confirmed this.
I think we shall have to set up our own server but I hope somebody else will be able to come up with another answer. Will look at what is possible with OwnCloud but expect they will be the same as google.
Thanks again,
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Google has great calendar features but tasks are not their forte. Maybe Google employees work like me and mostly use calendar appointments for their tasks.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)