Lightning "Read Only"

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
ibewlu

Lightning "Read Only"

Post by ibewlu »

Has anyone found an answer as to why calendars switch to "read only"?
Is there a way to turn off "Read Only"?
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
WaltS48

Re: Lightning "Read Only"

Post by WaltS48 »

ibewlu wrote:Has anyone found an answer as to why calendars switch to "read only"?
Is there a way to turn off "Read Only"?
What calendars?

The only "read only" calendar I have is Holidays in the United States from Google Calendar and I can't change it. Probably because I don't have permission and it would change it for everybody using it.

So who set it "read only" the provider or you? If it's a network calendar I would bet it is the provider.

To change it (if you can) right click on the Calendar, select Properties and remove the check mark for "Read Only".
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
ibewlu

Post by ibewlu »

What calendars?
Lightning is a calendar.
So who set it "read only" the provider or you?
Lightning changed it.
If it's a network calendar I would bet it is the provider.
What provider?
To change it (if you can) right click on the Calendar, select Properties and remove the check mark for "Read Only".
I know how to change it, but Lightning changes it again.
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Lightning is the extension that provides calendaring functionality in Thunderbird. Not a calendar. Those are in the Calendar List of the Calendar Pane. Home being the default.

How many calendars do you have in the Calendar List of the Calendar Pane?

I have five, 3 local and 1 network. Home, Bills, and Events are local. I am subscribed to Google Events and its Holiday calendar on the network.

So, what calendar in that list is read only on your system?

Do you have any other calendar extensions? Try disabling them and see if it helps.

What versions of Thunderbird and Lightning are you using?
ibewlu

Post by ibewlu »

Only one calendar extension.
I had 4 local calendars and I moved them to network because of additional computers that only I use and they stay online 100%. The problem has existed for years but I was hoping someone may have found a solution.
Thunderbird: Version 52.0b4.
Lightning: 5.4
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Sorry, can't help.

Thunderbird 52.0 was released over a year ago on April 10, 2017, is currently at 52.9.1, which uses Lightning version 5.4.9.1, and Provider for Google Calendar version 3.3.

The current Thunderbird beta is 60.0b10 with Lightning 6.2 and Provider for Google Calendar version 4.4.1.

The current Thunderbird release is 60.0 with the same extensions.

You might want to update your beta, or switch to the release version.
ibewlu

Post by ibewlu »

When Mozilla decides to stop screwing things up, I will update. Just because they don't know what they are doing is why I am still running Firefox ESR 45.9.0. Give control back to the user...
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

ibewlu wrote:When Mozilla decides to stop screwing things up, I will update. Just because they don't know what they are doing is why I am still running Firefox ESR 45.9.0. Give control back to the user...
Yeah, okay.

When you learn what you are doing, you may get back control of your calendars in Lightning.

My experience is with Google Calendar, not any of the other network calendar options like iCalendar (ICS), CalDAV or Sun Java System Calendar Server (WCAP).

When you tell us what type of network calendars you have, and what you are subscribed to, maybe someone could help.

I only support the current versions, because I'm too lazy to install old apps, with old extensions and test them.

Who knows what's been fixed since that version which may solve the problem?

Lightning works for me in TB 60.0b10, TB 52.9.1, and TB 60.0 released yesterday.

A long list of new, changed and fixed items in the release notes. I know, I know, (GASP the world is ending) some extensions not marked as compatible by their developers won't work, but may if you change a pref.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/
ibewlu

Post by ibewlu »

The network calendar protocol I am using is iCalendar (ICS).

I am not subscribed to ANY network calendars other than Lightning's; I don't put information on the internet, that's why I don't even have access from my phone or use a cloud.
BTW: Thunderbird calls Lightning "Calendar" in about:config.
some extensions not marked as compatible by their developers won't work
Yea, this is my problem. I spent days writing code in Firefox setting up "MyButtons" and the next version that comes along kills them.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

ibewlu wrote: ..
I know how to change it, but Lightning changes it again.
It keeps changing back on my as well.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Well, the only way I can tell if another extension is causing a problem with a calendar is to create a new profile, configure the calendars only and see what happens.

If that works it is probably another extension causing the problem, or the profile is messed up.
gggruchy

Post by gggruchy »

Hi ibewlu, I think nobody has found a solution on the latest release version.

WaltS48, yep the world is ending. My calendar is also constantly switching to "Read Only". Since I am okay with the inevitable, I am on Thunderbird 52.9.1 (32-bit), with latest available Lightning update 5.4.5.2. I am using ICS. This has been a problem with two completely different self-hosted ICS servers, OwnCloud and I believe Radicale. I am not using any addons which are featured to affect Lightning. Presumably when it cannot contact my ICS server, it will switch to "Read Only", preventing me from dismissing notifications. It will not undo this checkmark and makes dismissing notifications painful in my use-case. Help appreciated
JoPeru

Post by JoPeru »

I have the very same problem. After I got a new computer (Windows 10 like the previous one), almost every day when I open Thunderbird, my home calendar is 'read only'. I only have one calendar. My Thunderbird is set up to update anytime a new update is available so it can't be a version problem. Surely someone should be able to find a solution to this issue. I am about ready to give up but I have stuck by Thunderbird, it really would be a shame. Best to one all, Joanna
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

My experience when setting up "network" calendars on Lightning was that they would switch immediately to read-only status when there was something wrong with the URL information entered into Lightning for that calendar. And thus Lightning was not actually establishing a two-way syncing with that network calendar.

When I corrected the URL entered in Lightning, the subscribed network calendar stopped switching to read-only mode and two-way sync with Lightning started working for that calendar.

I never saw local calendars switch to read-only mode.