Calendar confusion

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
stjamespark

Calendar confusion

Post by stjamespark »

I wish to see my Google Calendar in Thunderbird.
I know how to do it, but there are FOUR options.

I can use two different addons 'Open Google Calendar' and 'Google Calendar Tab'.
Unless I am missing something, these appear to do the same thing i.e. show my proper Google Calendar with all it's pretty colours. One appears to have a tab and the other doesn't but I then lose my Today Pane, but can use reminders.

The other options are to use CalDav with Lightning or to use Provider add-on directly.
Again these are identical as far as I can see, but I lose the full colour option (since Calendar Tweak is no more) and so have to make do with a tiddly little strip of colour at the end of the entry.

Question 1. Are the two add-ons mentioned above doing the same job or is one to be preferred?
Question 2. Is Lightning + Caldav better or worse than Provider?

I fancy that if Calendar Tweak still worked, I would not have to ask the question.

Jim S
LIMPET235

Re: Calendar confusion

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the CALENDAR forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
stjamespark

Post by stjamespark »

Thank you. New to this forum.
Here I am.
Please explain what you mean by Custom Install (of what?)
Last edited by stjamespark on April 13th, 2021, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. Open Google Calendar and Google Calendar Tab basically just let you create a browser tab for google calendar within Thunderbird. That is not the same thing as using Lightning with both a local and a remote version of the same calendar. Never mind the two add-ons lock you into a specific calendar provider.

Keep in mind that its not unusual for add-ons to break for a while after a new major version of Thunderbird is released. Of the two add-ons, Open Google Calendar seems the safer choice as it has links to a support site, to send a support email, to its github project and includes some troubleshooting information in the add-ons web page. The github page states its a fork of repository archived Google Calendar Tab project.

2. My preference is for Lightning + CalDAV (rather than Lightning + Provider for Google Calendar) as you remove the dependency upon a add-on and I don't care about task lists (I use event lists instead). The author of the add-on states (in a FAQ):

The Provider predates Google Calendar's CalDAV support and was initially recommended because it was more stable. However, CalDAV support has improved with time and now offers a pretty complete Google Calendar experience. For some people, the Provider for Google Calendar works better than CalDAV. The Provider for Google Calendar also allows access to Google's task lists and there are some extra features in the Provider not available via CalDAV, for example setting EMAIL reminders. It is also easier to set up, a graphical calendar picker is available.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
No need as the thread has already been moved there.
Check the top of the forum.
eg; > Board index ‹ Other Mozilla Discussion ‹ Calendar

re; My Signature...
The CUSTOM INSTALL relates to any new software that you install.
Best to choose ^ the above in "some" cases, just to make sure that you're only getting what you asked for.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
stjamespark

Post by stjamespark »

Thanks.
I'm off to compare and contrast Open Google Calendar with CalDAV + Lightning to see what suits ME best.