Copying calendars to new computer

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Budgie3

Copying calendars to new computer

Post by Budgie3 »

I have 5 calendars in my lightning folder on my linux (openSUSE Tumbleweed) and now need to copy these calendars to a windoze 10 T'bird+Lightning installtion on laptop.
I tried exporting all five calendars and had a problem.

If I exported the claendars as html files then I was not able to import them into the laptop.

If I exported the calendars as .ics files then I could not save then under their own names, the import tried to save them all into my Home calendar.

Where am I going wrong please?
WaltS48

Re: Copying calendars to new computer

Post by WaltS48 »

You have to create the calendars first then import them, or they will all import into the only calendar available, which is Home.

If you have one named Events, create Events, then import into it.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Many thanks. Makes sense, will try that.
Regards,
Budgie3
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hi and many thanks again. I didn't mention but the shared calendars are all on Google Calendars and I was able to install them just using the email address so that has achieved 4/5.

What I not sure about is the Home calendar which is not on Google. Should I try and export and should I use html or .ical or what. I have entered a good bit of data into the Home folder on one machine which I need to copy to the other Home calendars on other machines. How should I proceed please?

Many thanks again.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I would export it as an .ics file, then import it into the default Home calendar on the other machines,
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hu and thanks for this. I had already tried what you suggest but for reasons not understood it failed. Will keep trying.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Budgie3 wrote:Hu and thanks for this. I had already tried what you suggest but for reasons not understood it failed. Will keep trying.
Having found out the correct way to import I was able to do this on another linux machine but cannot get my windoze machine to import the calendar .ics file. I have a couple of other machines to try but meanwhile are there any settings I must change to get this to work. I am not familiar with windoze so may have missed something.
Regards,
Budge
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Further to this I now find I was lucky with my first attempt as all the others have failed. When I looked at the properties of the Home folder which did accept the ics file I had exported, the location was shown as moz-storage-calendar://. I have no idea where this came from or what it connects.

The other machines, both windoze or linux do not show any Location for the Home folder.
There must be something I did differently when I set up the T'Bird accounts.
What is it I must do to get this working so I can import the .ics data from my original export please.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Is the Home calendar enabled?
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

WaltS48 wrote:Is the Home calendar enabled?
Hi,
To which calendar are you referring? The one which is being exported is enabled and working.
Those in the machines on which I am trying to import are enabled but not importing.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I don't look in the File manager for files.

The Home calendar is the default calendar provided by Thunderbird in the Calendar tab.

If you don't have Thunderbird open to the Calendar tab, don't have the calendars created and enabled that you want to import into, do so, and use the tools provided under Events and Tasks menu item.

Sorry, I can't be any clearer.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Of course I have done everything with T'bird open and using the Calendar tab and the tools from Events and Tasks menu. I will try them all again but as I explained, only one machine worked. In fact the shared Google calendars seem to be working but not my Home calendar which has all the personal data I am trying to copy. I am most grateful for your help and sorry if I have been the cause of exasperation.

I do have another different problem and am wondering if this might be the underlying cause. I shall post separately on this and come back to the calendar problem.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Budge.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Please can I pick up this thread and resume. To clarify my now simpler requirement, I am working on two computers on the same network, a workstation and a laptop. I need to have the two device calendars (on T'bird) in sync.
How should I do this and what are my options for setting this up. I understand I could use either the local network, my Google account or my existing Cloud account.
Grateful for some basic directions please.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Budgie3 wrote:Hu and thanks for this. I had already tried what you suggest but for reasons not understood it failed. Will keep trying.
I remember having problems doing so with some files.

Here is the solution I found:
– Create a new calendar in Google Calendar.
– Import your .ics file in a the new Google Calendar you just created.
– Either subscribe to that new Google Calendar (which will be online from now on) or import it in your home calendar in Thunderbird.

In my case, I found that there was a data error at some point in the ics file (an invalid date or something like that, I don't remember). Thunderbird saw the error and refused to import the entire calendar, but Google went around the error and imported the entire calendar minus one event.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hi and many thanks. I will give it a try with Google calendar first. Should be simpler now.
Thanks again.
Budge