Calendar suggestions

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
elyk

Calendar suggestions

Post by elyk »

I have a few ideas/suggestions for mozilla calendar:

1. When I'm looking at the month view, I usually attempt to scroll with the mouse wheel to no avail. Perhaps that could be used to see next/previous months or other events during the selected day.

2. In the calendar preferences, it would probably be much easier just to have the time offset from GMT or the actual time zone name instead of a list of cities to choose from, It may keep confusion down for people who don't know if a city is in their time zone or not.

3. Perhaps the calendar events file could be stored in XML format for easier parsing and portability? After all, this is part of mozilla, and mozilla can parse markup languages. Maybe something like this:

<calendar title="class schedule" color="#FFFFFF">
<event title="calculus" start="200408050800" end="200408050850"></event>

Just some suggestions, hopefully somebody can add to them
-elyk
orion224

Post by orion224 »

3. Perhaps the calendar events file could be stored in XML format for easier parsing and portability? After all, this is part of mozilla, and mozilla can parse markup languages. Maybe something like this:

I rather enjoy the ICS format. It gives me more cross compatibility with other calendar applications.
awiebe

Post by awiebe »

I also think that it's good that it uses the iCalendar format. It's a popular calendar format and if the calendar started using a new format no other application would work with it.
<Arthur/>
rambo

Re: Calendar suggestions

Post by rambo »

elyk wrote:I have a few ideas/suggestions for mozilla calendar:

1. When I'm looking at the month view, I usually attempt to scroll with the mouse wheel to no avail. Perhaps that could be used to see next/previous months or other events during the selected day.

2. In the calendar preferences, it would probably be much easier just to have the time offset from GMT or the actual time zone name instead of a list of cities to choose from, It may keep confusion down for people who don't know if a city is in their time zone or not.

I agree.
oddman

Post by oddman »

I try to scroll down all the time too. That would be a nice feature to have.
spankee

Post by spankee »

I agree the time zone needs to use a GMT offset in addition to what is already used.
By the way what city is GMT -0600?
thanks
Rod Whiteley

Re: Calendar suggestions

Post by Rod Whiteley »

elyk wrote:1. ...I usually attempt to scroll with the mouse wheel...to see next/previous months...

I think that's a terrible idea. The scroll wheel is meant for scrolling something that has a scroll bar. Would you disable the scroll bar and make the scroll wheel change the page?

Perhaps a better place to comment on this idea is in Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241040

elyk wrote:2. ...time offset from GMT or the actual time zone name...

The so-called "default timezone" does nothing. It is just a placeholder because time zone support has not been designed yet.

I agree with you: when time zone support is designed it should use real time zones.

elyk wrote:3. XML format for easier parsing and portability

The iCal standard was designed for interchanging data between applications. It was not designed for data storage. So MozCal has run into problems using it for storage. I have read that work is in progress to change the storage mechanism, but iCal will still be used for interchange.
Rod