Calendar Project at a critical juncture

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
juan abba

Re: Calendar Project at a critical juncture

Post by juan abba »

I need help as follows please

a am using TBIRD 3.0, with installed add ons including:
lightning 1.02b2pre
provider for google calendar 0.6b2pre
lightning nightly updater 0.10.100228

when I try to update TBIRD to actual available version, I get following message

================================================================
software updater
incompatible Add-ons found

Some of your adds on wont work with this update and must be disables ..
..................................................................................................
lightning 1.02b2pre I
provider for google calendar 0.6b2pre I
....................................................................................................

==================================================================

after seen this message I become afraid of updating, as on the past I lost the calendar access
and needed to get back to previus version

How can I handle this please

juan abba
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

juan abba, you are using old nightly builds that are obsolete. Nightly builds are no longer provided since end of January. For Thunderbird 3.0.* use the official Lightning 1.0b1 and Provider for Google Calendar 0.6b1 release builds.
juan abba

Post by juan abba »

ssitter

fantastic
thanks a lot

working 100% at latest label

best regards

juan
ryagatich

Post by ryagatich »

So, this is an old topic (> 1 year) - and the latest commentaries appeared to be surrounding specific problems, but spanning past the original posting concern of whether or not lightning or sunbird should continue as applications.

It appears that this decision has been made already, but even though this is the case - I would still love to voice my opinion on this.

As a business user of email and calendaring, I find a strong need to have two separate applications. One which provides email and one which provides a calendar. However, I also expect to accept calendar invitations via email as it is quite normal for me. Having one application on one monitor, and another application on another monitor - allows me as a user, to look at my entire month's schedule while still keeping my email open and accessible for references. This is something that Outlook has yet to provide.

What I do not understand is - why is it, with API development and similar - why can we not have a plugin for TB that just links with SB - i.e., accepts calendar invites and similar? Why do we really need the entire calendar application as being an extension to TB directly? It feels like as a community, we're taking our cues from other applications, Outlook, Eudora - etc. They all try to bundle everything together in a single application - which works to some degree, but makes that single application feel bloated to some - particularly those who switched to get away from the bloated/complicated application set.

Digging myself into a hole with this one - but compare the process to the general MS Office suite. You have separate applications, Word, Excel, etc - they found that rather than integrating everything into a single application, you can embed various components into your documents to produce the desired results. Using calendaring and emailing should really be considered two separate business functions, just accessible via a simple conduit. You don't put your desk inside the bathroom because you like privacy and don't want the bathroom to stink up the rest of your work.

So what I'm getting at - I certainly agree that keeping two nearly identical feature sets as duplicate code is a waste, and I strongly feel that keeping the Sunbird project alive and converting the Lightning project into an API-only module is really the best overall route here.
Popgory

Post by Popgory »

ryagatich wrote:So, this is an old topic (> 1 year) - and the latest commentaries appeared to be surrounding specific problems, but spanning past the original posting concern of whether or not lightning or sunbird should continue as applications.

It appears that this decision has been made already, but even though this is the case - I would still love to voice my opinion on this.

As a business user of email and calendaring, I find a strong need to have two separate applications. One which provides email and one which provides a calendar. However, I also expect to accept calendar invitations via email as it is quite normal for me. Having one application on one monitor, and another application on another monitor - allows me as a user, to look at my entire month's schedule while still keeping my email open and accessible for references. This is something that Outlook has yet to provide.

So what I'm getting at - I certainly agree that keeping two nearly identical feature sets as duplicate code is a waste, and I strongly feel that keeping the Sunbird project alive and converting the Lightning project into an API-only module is really the best overall route here.

As a pressured salesman, father, hobbiest, computer teacher of two young daughters, and wearer of several other hats everyday; I find that I am using email constantly beside the contact manager. TBird is on the further right monitor, CRM on middle right, FF on middle left and Sunbird is up the 4th, furtherst left monitor handling the 70+ schedules that I have set-up - six of which are published to iCalx.

I have been a user of Sunbird since 0.1. Tried the Lightening add-on two different times and went back to seperate apps as it saves me time with the applications running seperately. For me, multiple monitors and stability saves time.
--
Thanks for your help!!!
Popgory :-)
set2001

Post by set2001 »

Outlook is solid for work but for family/group use it is better to use a web based online calendar.

__________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.convenientcalendar.com
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

I'm a Sunbird user. :)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Kieth wrote:I'm a Sunbird user. :)

You do know that Sunbird is no longer being developed?

From the Calendar Project page:

This is the last public Sunbird release by the Calendar Project.
We recommend upgrading to Thunderbird 3 and Lightning 1.0 beta1.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Harry_Morgan

Post by Harry_Morgan »

I was a Sunbird and Thunderbird user; can anyone suggest a replacement for sunbird other than the Microsoft option. It is a pity but when a project is abandoned, be sure, it is abandoned.
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

What are people supposed to use if they don't use Thunderbird for e-mail but still want a standards-based calendar program (often to access networked ICS-format calendars)?
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

You do know that Sunbird is no longer being developed?

Actually, no I didn't! :cry:
frafu

Post by frafu »

Hi,

I am wondering whether it would not have been better continuing the development of sunbird instead of lightning. Indeed:
- By choosing lightning over sunbird, the user base has implicitely been reduced to a subpart of the thunderbird users.
- As ryagatich suggested in a posting here above: could both applications not simply cooperate over some communication facility?
- For those that want the calendar displayed in thunderbird: would it not have been possible to add an option to the stand-alone sunbird, to make it appear in the thunderbird window, satisfying this way both categories of users: those that want a stand-alone calendary and those that want it integrated into thunderbird?

Cheers
diced

Post by diced »

dtobias wrote:What are people supposed to use if they don't use Thunderbird for e-mail but still want a standards-based calendar program (often to access networked ICS-format calendars)?

My suggestion would be to use Thunderbird as a stand-alone calander application. I've told it to use a@b.cde as my e-mail account, and never use the e-mail features.
Cayley

Post by Cayley »

I am a very satisfied Sunbird-user and Bat!-user. I like having the two distinct application open at once on my screen (and The Bat! has proven itself superior to Thunderbird for my needs). But I with all the insecurities on the web, I am becoming increasingly uneasy with using Sunbird when it is no longer being updated.

I agree with diced above that using Thunderbird as a calendar, having entered some meaningless email account, is soon going to be the best and safest solution. But it is also a clumsy and inelegant solution, because of all the resources that Thunderbird chews up.

Please, Mozilla, give us back our beloved Sunbird. We are missing him badly, and are pining for a date with him. Is it possible to give some award to the public-spirited guru who is prepared to take on the project again? They would certainly have my respect, and surely such an achievement would win them an attractive job.
alaa

Post by alaa »

thanx :)