Calendar Project at a critical juncture

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
computerfreaker

Re: Calendar Project at a critical juncture

Post by computerfreaker »

I vote for Sunbird...
I use it for pretty much my entire life - school assignments, classes, birthdays, etc. etc. etc.
Having the power to work offline is a must for me - I'm on dialup, and frequently unable to use the Internet but still in need of a calendar. Sunbird is the one and only solution for me, and I will be quite disappointed if it dies...
fastforward

Post by fastforward »

Hello sipaq.
I and my company employies are using your calender and we are all satisfied with it. It is good to hear that you are working on the updting work of it. Hope that the updated version will provide new features and will be in great help again. Best of luck for your work and keep continuing work like this. We are eagerly waiting for the updated version of the same. Hope it will come soon.
where there is a will there is a way
Mobyuk

Post by Mobyuk »

I would have to vote for Sunbird as I much prefer seperate email and calendar programmes. I have Sunbird to start when my machines boot so my aide memoire is always there when I start working. Thunderbird sits idle until I want to send an email or one comes in. I can't do this with TB/Lightning.
TB is superb but please keep Sunbird going as well.
Stealer of Souls.............using Windows 7
Clued2it

Post by Clued2it »

I hope that work on further development of Sunbird continues. It's a wonderful, very effective and fine program. I use the portable version on a USB stick along with other portable applications, with no problems.
LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka »

I'm coming to this topic a little late, but I've been using Lightning for the past few months (I used older versions of Sunbird and liked it).

For me, the integrated calendar has not been an issue -- I've been okay either way. That is, until now. I cannot upgrade to Thunderbird 3.0 until there is a stable Lightning 1.0. If development was continuing on Sunbird, I could upgrade Thunderbird now and continue with Sunbird 0.9 until 1.0 is ready. As it is now, I have to hold off. I could try using a nightly build of Lightning, but I'd hate to run into a serious problem with that.

I'm looking at exporting all my calendars and importing them into Sunbird 0.9. Then I can upgrade to Sunbird 1.0 when it is stable. At that point I'll need to consider whether to switch back to using Lightning. If Sunbird is not going to be supported past 1.0 then that may be necessary.

For people who don't want the calendar in their e-mail or use something other than Thunderbird, isn't there a simple framework that can run the Lightning plugin as a standalone? Take Thunderbird and strip it down to a shell that can run a plugin and ship that as Sunbird? Just a thought.

Ciao
LoneWolf
skorobkin

Post by skorobkin »

I am very new to anything outside of Firefox.
Is TB, Lightning & Sunbird the anti-Outlook?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

LoneWolf-

The Lighting beta will work well in TB3. It is at least as stable as whatever 0.x version you are currently using.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
skorobkin

Post by skorobkin »

Thanks.
LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka »

Thanks LoudNoise. I'll try it out (after making some backups of course).
RevNomad

Post by RevNomad »

I've used both, and occasionally still do, sadly if you MUST choose I choose Lighting. Still I'd hate to lose Sunbird.
dlegate

Post by dlegate »

I see the original post of this "critical juncture" was a year ago... is this still "critical"? Have other developers come on board? Are we in a better or worse place than a year ago? Just curious.
flashfletch

Post by flashfletch »

I am slowly trying to wean myself off M$ products (old system - still running Win2K! but soon to be replaced) and have recently started to use FireFox exclusively, but have not got off Outlook Express (yet). I have been using a VERY nice little (simple) calendar program called WallCal3 that gives me a semi-transparent calendar on my wallpaper/background that is there ALL the time and is accessed by triple-clicking.

I am just starting to look at TB/Lightning and like the look/feel of them but would LOVE to see the Calendar have an option to display semi-transparently on part of the wallpaper as I don't always have email active (always on, but minimised). Lightning has MUCH more functionality than WallCal3 and I'm looking forward to using it on a regular basis, but the always up feature of WallCal3 is nice. With the lack of developers in mind (I assume its still a problem ...), I was wondering if this could be put on a wishlist of new features for later development?

Also, I have looked and looked for something (OpenSource) that will allow me to run a 'ticker', again semi-transparently, across the desktop that could display things like task reminders, motivational thoughts, etc. Another wishlist item for Lightning? (Or does someone know of something out there already?)

Finally, KUDOS =D> to all of you who devote so much time and effort to building such wonderful tools as FF/TB/L'ing! You produce something that is not only free, but is also BETTER than the offerings of big corporate Money $uckers!

Cheers
flashfletch
HangingIn

Post by HangingIn »

If you are going to do anymore work on Lightning, it would seem to me that your first priority is to be sure that Lightning works in Thunderbird 3 at least as well as it does now in Thunderbird 2.

More than anything else I am concerned with the integrity of the information in my present personal calendar and To Do lists in Lightning under TB 2.

Please don't get fancy until you've at least made sure of this. Thanks.
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

HangingIn, for Thunderbird 3 use Lightning 1.0b1 that is available from https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/2313.
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

I've been using both pretty much from their conception, so I would like to see both Sunbird & Lightning continued.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin