Sunbird won't run under Mandrake 10.1

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
MozMonkey

Sunbird won't run under Mandrake 10.1

Post by MozMonkey »

I recently upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 official from Mandrake 9.1. Since I did this Sunbird has stopped working. When I try to run it from an icon on the desktop, it will appear on the taskbar but will die after a few seconds. It never gets to the point where a program window actually appears.

If I try to run "sunbird" from the command line I get the following error:
<b>./mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to send command: 509 internal error</b>

If I try to run "sunbird-bin" from the command line I get the following error:
<b>./sunbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory</b>

libmozjs.so does exist in the sunbird directory.

I have tried both Linux tarballs available on the Sunbird download page (2004-11-12). Both have the same problem.

Anyone know what is wrong?
MozMonkey

Post by MozMonkey »

After running ldd on sunbird-bin I found that the program cannot find the following shared libraries:

libmozjs.so
libxpcom_compat.so
libxpcom.so
libxpcom_core.so

All of these are in the Sunbird directory. I could make sunbird-bin find them by putting symbolic links in /usr/lib but then I had other problems. After creating the links and rerunning sunbird-bin:

<b>*** Registering -calendar handler.
*** Registering text/calendar handler.
*** Registering webcal protocol handler.
*** Registering -calendar handler.
*** nsExtensionManager::_disableObsoleteExtensions - failure, catching exception so finalize window can close
*** loading the extensions datasource
*** loading the extensions datasource
*** Registering webcal protocol handler.</b>

These last 4 lines repeated over and over until I killed the program. Also it didn't fix the error if I tried to run the sunbird script.

So I'm still not sure what is wrong. Help! I would really like to use Sunbird. :-(
mvl

Post by mvl »

runnig sunbird-bin is not the right thing, you need to run sunbird. This isn't the full solution, but at least should reduce the amount of tries you will need :)
For the restarting problem, removing your profile might help. It is something with the extension manager.
MozMonkey

Post by MozMonkey »

Yes, I normally run the sunbird executable, not sunbird-bin. But the error message I got wasn't very helpful, so I decided that maybe running the sunbird-bin executable directly might provide more information about what was going wrong. Maybe the inability to find the shared libraries was caused by the fact that I was running sunbird-bin directly. I was just poking around hoping I could figure out what might be wrong.

I have tried deleting the sunbird profile directory before starting sunbird but it hasn't enabled sunbird to run properly. When I run sunbird after deleting the sunbird profile directory, I get a message on startup saying: "Any old extensions you have installed have been disabled." before it dies. So it sounds like you're on to something. I haven't installed any extensions on this machine in Sunbird or any other Mozilla apps, so I'm not sure why this error would show up. Any other suggestions?
MozMonkey

Post by MozMonkey »

Well, one more thing I just noticed. When I run Sunbird, it appeared to crash and die. However when I checked the running processes I found that Sunbird is still running and sucking up CPU like it is caught in an infinite loop of some kind. However I thought it died because it disapeared from the taskbar.