Remote calendars: Mozilla1.7, TB0.9, FF1.0, SB0.2b

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
rickm

Remote calendars: Mozilla1.7, TB0.9, FF1.0, SB0.2b

Post by rickm »

I can get the FTP publlishing to work with Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox 1.0, but not with Thunderbird 0.9 or Sunbird 0.2b.

The calendar bundled with (Debian) Mozilla 1.7 predates some important fixes for remote calendars from 2004111214 so it's NG. Firefox and Sunbird calendars can't send email yet, so that leaves Thunderbird, but the FTP doesn't work. Strange, because the XPIs are from the same builds for TB and FF.

In all cases except Mozilla 1.7, I use: ftp://userid:pswd@host/ppat-to-calendar/home.ics.

Mozilla is older and the dialogs have separate entry widgets for userid and password.

I see several people with the exact problem, but I haven't been able to find a difinitive statement that the problem is known to the developers and that it's on the books to be fixed.

What can I do in the mean time, try to get WebDav on my server?

....RickM...
mvl

Post by mvl »

What if you use ftp://host/ppat-to-calendar/home.ics. instead?
And please provide the real string you fill in, not some obscured format. Otherwise it is impossible to test if the bug can be reproduced. And without that, it can't get fixed. You can ofcourse give the path to a test calendar if you don't want to show everybody your data.
rickm

Post by rickm »

mvl - thanks for the reply.

In TB, with our without the user:pwd added to the ftp, the circular arrows just spin forever with no error messages.

In FF, where FTP works, I removed the user:pwd then I got two separate error windows popping up:

"550 /public_html/calendars/home.ics: No such file or directory."
and
"This doesn't appear to be a valid file. Here's what I got back from ftp://timshel.ca/public_html/calendars/home.ics:
Result:"

Others have reported the same thing. I couldn't find where anybody claimed FTP currently works (in TB and SB).

I didn't see the point in giving my actual path since nobody can use FTP without the password. What testing could anybody do with that?

This morning I made progress with the publish.mozilla.php feature of phpicalendar. With it, I can now retrieve and publish from all 4 programs. So, while the FTP is much easier to set up, at least I have it working now. I hope this does get fixed. If there are more tests that I can try please let me know.

...RickM...
mvl

Post by mvl »

rickm wrote:"550 /public_html/calendars/home.ics: No such file or directory."

That's a hint. Check the pathname.
If this is the reply you get without the password, it could mean that the server accepts anonymous login. If so, sunbird won't ask for a password, because that's not what the server said. The login went fine.

rickm wrote:I didn't see the point in giving my actual path since nobody can use FTP without the password. What testing could anybody do with that?

It would allow testing what the actual error code is. Is it 'login failed' or something else? If not 'login failed', it makes sense that you won't get a password popup.
rickm

Post by rickm »

OK, for testing I switched from the commercial server to my own Linux box on my home network.
FF-cal works as before: ftp://user:pwd@host/calendars/home.ics. When I _remove_ user:pwd, then FF-cal prompts for a userid/pswd, and everything still works! Perfect!

Now, the same two FF-cal tests on the commercial server: With user:pwd it works. Without, I get the "no such file or directory" message with no prompt for user/pwd. So, something is throwing off the handshaking between FF-cal and the commercial ftp server when the user:pwd is not in the URL.

For TB-cal, it fails to talk to my internal machine and the original commercial server with or without user/pwd. There's something different about TB-call. Anybody should be able to test this on any machine. Just point the TB-cal FTP URL to your local files, with and without user:pwd.

...RickM...
...RickM...
mvl

Post by mvl »

That really sounds like the commercial ftp server allows anonymous acces. What if you just open ftp://ftp.servername/ in a browser? no username, no path.

For TB, i now see that TB doesn't have ftp support build. That makes sense for a mail app, but it breaks this usage of calendar. So for now, you are out of luck there.
rickm

Post by rickm »

I think we have it all now! Thank-you for your patience.

In a browser, ftp://ftp.commercialserver dumps me right into a public anonymous ftp directory. So, that's it!

ftp://user:pwd@ftp.commercialserver puts me into my home directory on that machine.

Pointing a browser to the machine on my local LAN, giving ftp://user:pwd@host puts me into my home directory on that machine. Without user:pwd, it prompts me for userid and password. This is exactly the same behaviour that FF-cal gives.

Do you agree with this summary:

1) My commercial server has anonymous FTP as some sort of default, so a URL without user:pwd@ puts you into the anonymous FTP directory with no chance of giving a userid/pwd. Perhaps the code could detect this and still prompt for user/pwd?

2) TB and SB are not built with FTP, so FTP cannot be used for remote calendar access. I think they should be, and have seen others state the same desire/requirement.

3) FF-cal using FTP works as expected, except for the ftpserver described in #1 above.

Are you a Mozilla programmer? Should I submit bug reports for #1 and $2?

I'm actually OK using phpicalendar's publish.mozilla.php feature now, so I'm not waiting on these FTP issues.

I have one other issue with the calendar, but I'll start a new thread about it (auto remote refreshing).

...RickM...
...RickM...
mvl

Post by mvl »

rickm wrote:1) My commercial server has anonymous FTP as some sort of default, so a URL without user:pwd@ puts you into the anonymous FTP directory with no chance of giving a userid/pwd. Perhaps the code could detect this and still prompt for user/pwd?

Technically, mozilla has a default for anonymous. Please report a bug about this in the calendar product.

rickm wrote:2) TB and SB are not built with FTP, so FTP cannot be used for remote calendar access. I think they should be, and have seen others state the same desire/requirement.

Right. I already fixed sunbird. Now for thunderbird. That isn't that easy, because thunderbird itself doesn't want ftp for a reason. File a bug about that too.
rickm

Post by rickm »

II've submitted the two bug reports. Thanks for your help.