Calender Extension v/s Sunbird

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Tom Tracey

Calender Extension v/s Sunbird

Post by Tom Tracey »

Folks,

I can't seem to find much difference between the two (excluding the already documented issue with mailing alarms - quite useful since I have free incoming text messaging on my phone). Is there a specific reason to go with one over the other?

Thanks!

Tom...
rickm

Post by rickm »

As you mentioned, TB-cal (and mozilla suite calendar) is the only one that can currently send email.

Things I have found:

SB 0.02b and TB-cal 0.9 don't yet have FTP for remote calendars; you have to use WebDav (is that the name?) or phpicalendar's publish.mozilla.php for now, or FF-cal or mozilla (suite) calendar.

None of them auto reload remote calendars. I think the code is done or nearly so, so I'm hoping this will be in the next release.

There are tiny differences in the menus, if and where you find PasswordManager, the Preferences/Customize menu, the GoToToday button, but nothing major there.

I haven't tried to sort out which, if any _yet_, will still do alarms even when the calendar isn't open. I've seen this is bug reports and/or roadmap, but I didn't pay much attention since I always have the calendar open.

...RickM...
Tom Tracey

Post by Tom Tracey »

RickM,
Thanks - I haven't seen anything different - I've only been using them for about a week or so. None of the issues are show-stoppers for me and I would rather have the stand-alone app than having it force me to open mail (which I do pretty much 24x7 anyway)...

As far as the alarms with the app closed, I don't think ANY of them do that - at least not yet. That, coupled with the ability to mail alerts to my phone would make this incredibly more funtional.

For remote calendars, since mine are all internal on my private LAN, I simply have folks open (file / open calendar file) each other's calendars (security is not an issue here - we're all family) :-)

That seems to be working well and the updates are being shown without having to do a "reload". I can see where this could be problematic though in a larger organization.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers

Tom...