Hide Completed Tasks in To Do List?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
deebee2

Hide Completed Tasks in To Do List?

Post by deebee2 »

When I check completed tasks in the Tasks ("To Do") list, they are nicely Strikethrough-ed.

But after a while the windows becomes cluttered with tasks that were completed which distract me from the ones that I really need to focus on. Is there a way to hide them? or grey them out?

Thanks.
ssitter

Re: Hide Completed Tasks in To Do List?

Post by ssitter »

Are you using Sunbird or Lightning? What version?

In Sunbirds sidebar and in Lightnings today pane there is a checkbox "Show completed tasks" above the task list. Disabling it will provide the requested behavior.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Yeah -- it's an OLD post..BUT ---

I have this problem. When you choose to hide completed tasks, then they are hidden in the calendar view but not in the tasks view -- i.e., if i open the tasks tab, tasks marked as "completed" are all still visible until they are "deleted." Kind of a pain, esp. if you wish to keep track of completed tasks. Anybody have any thoughts? T-bird version 31.70, Linux.
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

In the tasks tab you can use the filter section in the left pane to e.g. show only incomplete tasks. Same setting can be accessed from menu View > Tasks.
OldMole

Post by OldMole »

In TB 52.5.2, is there any way to hide completed tasks in the Tasks tab (Events & Tasks > Tasks) tab?

View > Tasks > Incomplete Tasks doesn't work. Using the filter would be best, but I don't know the proper syntax. Entering "-" in the filter text box filters (i.e., shows) the COMPLETED tasks. And I've tried all sorts of common syntax forms: NOT -, !-, ^-, but none of them work.
OldMole

Post by OldMole »

OldMole wrote:In TB 52.5.2, is there any way to hide completed tasks in the Tasks tab (Events & Tasks > Tasks) tab?

View > Tasks > Incomplete Tasks doesn't work. Using the filter would be best, but I don't know the proper syntax. Entering "-" in the filter text box filters (i.e., shows) the COMPLETED tasks. And I've tried all sorts of common syntax forms: NOT -, !-, ^-, but none of them work.
I've partly answered my own question. Either something was amiss when I first posted the question and subsequently fixed in an update, or I just spaced out. In any case, when one displays the Tasks tab, there's a calendar panel to the left. Click on Show, and a set of menu choices with radio buttons appears. Select Incomplete Tasks to hide the completed ones.

This only partly answers the question, since the Filter tasks syntax seems to be undocumented and is a mystery to me. For example, can one use regular expressions in the filter? Can one filter for specific fields (e.g., Start date < a week from now)? Etc. How? Where's the documentation?
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

No documentation online?
OldMole

Post by OldMole »

Subito Piano wrote:No documentation online?
I was only talking about the Filter Tasks text box in the upper right of the Tasks tab. It works quite intuitively for simple filtering (e.g. show only tasks containing the word "Call" can be done by typing "Call" in the box). But more complicated filters, such as inverse filters, compound logical filters, etc. are not intuitively obvious. (E.g., how does one filter tasks that have both "Call" and a due date this week?)

I've searched the Internet high and low for some kind of guide to filtering tasks in the Tasks tab and have come up empty. If you know of documentation for filter construction in the Filter Tasks text box, please post the link here.

BTW, I'd love to be able to use regular expressions for filters and, even better, have a tool for constructing & saving named filters that use regular expressions.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Ahh...yeah, i don't use the tasks option much. I use a combination of a normal "to-do_ list and alarms/reminders in the calendar. Sorry.... :-/ Hopefully somebody that knows more about these things will reply.