Sunbird Recurring Events?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
al0061

Sunbird Recurring Events?

Post by al0061 »

Hi. I'm new to the mozilla.org products, so please be patient with my lack of expertise.

I have a suggestion that I didn't find mentioned in the first page of posts here.

In Sunbird, on the recurring events, I couldn't find a way to make events recur on specific days of the month. (i.e. on the 5th and 20th of each month, paydays, don'tcha know.)

Also, I have a question. I have Firefox, Thunderbird and Sunbird, all as separate entities. I've read that Sunbird could be 'attached' to Thunderbird. How do I get that to happen, so that the calendar function is 'part of' the email client, sort of like Outlook, which I desparately want to replace.

(If you provide code to run, please give me instructions as to how to run it. Never done that, and one lesson is all I'll need.)

I'm spreading the word about these wonderful alternatives to all my friends and co-workers, and trying to learn all I can about how to maintain and update stuff.
Thanks Mozilla.org, and all contributors, for providing a way to escape Bill.

al0061 - aka Torch
Rod Whiteley

Re: Sunbird Recurring Events?

Post by Rod Whiteley »

al0061 wrote:...make events recur on ...the 5th and 20th of each month...

You can't make a single event like that. Make one event recur on the 5th of every month, and another on the 20th.

(It's just not possible to support all the variations on recurrence that people might want, and still have a simple interface.)

al0061 wrote:...Sunbird could be 'attached' to Thunderbird...

It can't. Sunbird is the name of a project to create a stand-alone calendar program.

In Thunderbird you can run the Calendar extension (which is very similar to the stand-alone Sunbird). Calendar runs in a separate window, but it has some functional links to Thunderbird.

Lightning is a project to create a much more integrated calendar in Thunderbird, but it is not available as a product yet. See http://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php/Calendar:Lightning
Rod
al0061

Post by al0061 »

Hi Rod,
Thanks for your reply.
As to the first question, perhaps I don't have the latest, (only had Sunbird for 2 weeks or so), but all I see on the recurring events is 'Repeat every X [Day, Week, Month, Year] and then check boxes for the days of the week. I don't see anywhere to indicate I want an event to recur on a specific date of every month. Since dates seldom, if ever, fall on the same weekday each month, your suggestion is not workable.
(I'll check to see if there are any more updated versions available which might contain this feature.)

I'm having some difficulty finding the proper Calendar extension Thunderbird, but I'll be checking the Calendar link from the products page.
Thanks again.
Torch

P.S. Edited to add - I found the calendar extension for Thunderbird.
mvl

Post by mvl »

If you actually select Repeat every Month the rest of the dialog will change, and should show an option to repeat event n-th day of the month.
al0061

Post by al0061 »

Thanks mvl. I checked that out, and it seems to allow for setting an event to happen on the first of the month or the first Saturday of the month. Apparently, nothing yet to specify an event for the n-th of the month.

The same is true for both Sunbird and the Mozilla Calendar Extension for Thunderbird. Both are from builds dated 12-17-04. I am forced to assume that the functionality in question does not (yet) exist.

I appreciate the reply, though. Thanks much.
Torch
mvl

Post by mvl »

if you create an event for the first of the month, you can only make it recur every first of the month. Create one for the 5th, and you can make it recur every 5th. etc.
al0061

Post by al0061 »

Holy Cow, I can't believe I didn't try that. Maybe I had a hangover when I posted. Thanks so much, mvl.
Torch