FTP permissions for Calendar file

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Clock

FTP permissions for Calendar file

Post by Clock »

I have finally got Sunbird to work on an FTP server. Hooray!

I don't know what the permissions for the ics file should be though. Can anyone help?

I am using SmartFTP, so it involves checking (or unchecking) a few boxes for Read, Write, and Execute for the owner, group, and public. I think a permissions number can be entered as well.

I am interested in the best possible security for what I have (Geocities domain), given that I hear FTP isn't the ultimate "correct" way to do things.

Any help is appreciated.
Clock

Post by Clock »

Not getting much of a response here. Just need the chmod # to give this file. Thanks.
faun

Re: FTP permissions for Calendar file

Post by faun »

Clock wrote:I am interested in the best possible security for what I have (Geocities domain)

Hmm. Isn't this mutually contradictory? Geocity and security? ;)

Well, try 666 or 777. But I wouldn't concider that safe, as everybody, which knows the name and exact location of that .ics-file can access it via the webserver.
Clock

Post by Clock »

Please pardon my cluelessness.

If no one knows the name (it's for syncing my laptop and desktop calendars) and no one knows the location, why is it unsafe?

I just pointed my browser to the address given to me to upload files (simulating Joe Hacker), as well as to a few popular guesses as to where files might lie on a domain, and it wouldn't let me in.

My primary concern is that the file remain undamaged. The information isn't sensitive per se - who cares when my dentist appointments are?

Am I still asking for it?

Maybe they need a story like "Red Asphalt" for internet security as I'm sure it would hit home then. I'm just ign'unt, apparently.