Lightning: Restrict edit for shared calendars

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Nefta

Lightning: Restrict edit for shared calendars

Post by Nefta »

Hey guys,

Sorry in advance for my bad English. I wanted to ask if there is a way to restrict rights for certain thunderbird profiles when using shared lightning calendars. The calendar lies on our network, and I want others to be able to view it, but without them being able to edit or delete parts of it.
mgagnonlv

Re: Lightning: Restrict edit for shared calendars

Post by mgagnonlv »

As far as I know, it is possible to do so, but it is something you need to set on your server.

For example, if you use a Google calendar, you can give "edit" rights to a few people besides you and read-only rights to a few others. Likewise, if it is a calendar on an Exchange server, the owner (and maybe a few users) has edit rights, others have read-only rights and yet others have no rights at all.

With these two platforms (at least), Thunderbird respects these restrictions. If your colleague with read-only permissions tries to install your calendar, he will see it without problems, and it may not appear on his desk as a "read-only calendar". But the minute he tries to edit something, the "read-only" checkmark will appear. (therefore it will be read-only)
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)