Read-only access to Google Calendar

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
pete of ebor

Read-only access to Google Calendar

Post by pete of ebor »

Is there any way that I can give a third party (who also has Lightning) read-only access to my Google calendar ? I use lightning with the "provider for Google calendar" add-on to get bi-directional access, and this works fine, but I would only want the other person to be able to READ my calendar, not update or change it.
DanRaisch

Re: Read-only access to Google Calendar

Post by DanRaisch »

How will this other party be accessing the Google Calendar? Will they be using Thunderbird, a browser, some other email program?
mgagnonlv

Re: Read-only access to Google Calendar

Post by mgagnonlv »

YOu have to do that through the Google Calendar webpage.

– Open your calendar on the web (https://calendar.google.com)
– In the left sidebar, you will see all the calendars you have.
– Hover on the name of the calendar you want to share; a pulldown menu will appear. Select "Parameters..."

From there, you have a few choices.
– Most likely, click on "share this calendar" (second option at the top).
Add the email addresses of people with which you want to share the agenda. For each of them (I'm translating from French), you can either: "modify everything", "display event details", "show busy information".
It's probably the 2nd option you want to select.

If you want a large group of people to use the agenda, authorizing people one at a time is cumbersome. You can either use "private URL" (I think people using other ical applications (ex.: on Mac or Linux) can change the calendar), or share it publicly (read only, but it can be searched).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)