Lightning Calendar disabled in TB 38.5.1

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
tajkkj

Lightning Calendar disabled in TB 38.5.1

Post by tajkkj »

Lightning had been worked working fine for me until now. Today I noticed the Calendar tab had disappeared, and the button to recreate it was missing. I checked the add-on Manager and it shows Lightning 4.0.5.2 is waiting to be installed after a restart. I click restart, and after TB restarts, Lightning is still not installed. The add-on Manager entry has not changed and is waiting for a TB restart. I've uninstalled Lightning and reinstalled from lightning-4.0.5.2-sm+tb-windows.xpi and still have the same problem.

I am running on Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.

Anyone else see this or know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Tim
tajkkj

Re: Lightning Calendar disabled in TB 38.5.1

Post by tajkkj »

I was able to install the earlier Lightning 4.0.4.1, and it is working correctly. I'm going to see what happens if I upgrade from here to 4.0.5.2. Stand by.
tajkkj

Post by tajkkj »

Upgrading from 4.0.4.1 to 4.0.5.2 failed. When I restarted TB after 4.0.4.1 installed, it remained disabled wait for a restart. So, same problem as originally posted. Any ideas?
black_magician75

Post by black_magician75 »

Same issue here. Even a reinstall of Lightning 4.0.4.1 doesn't solve the issue
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to the Calendar Forum
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I have 38.5.1 and 4.0.5.2 and they work fine together on Windows 10 fully updated. It just worked; I didn't do anything. I know this doesn't help, but at least now you know it's possible to get this combo going.
markbannister

Post by markbannister »

Same issue after running with add ons disabled. Now under view menu, calendar and task panes are disabled. The today pane works just fine.
Mark Bannister
JOP044

Post by JOP044 »

Hi,

I have been struggling with this same issue for quite some time now.

I have been using TB with the Lightning add-on for many years and have had very little trouble until around last fall when I did a TB update (not sure of the version but probably around v38.2) and Lightning disappeared. I was able to get it back by reinstalling the add-on several times, finally installing it directly from a .xpi file.

After the next update, it disappeared again. After playing around with several things it again came back. Now with the latest update to TB (v38.7.0), Lightning is again gone.

After some research, I found the following at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... underbird:

Lightning and Thunderbird 38

Starting with Thunderbird 38, Lightning is bundled with Thunderbird. This means you don't need to install it separately, but simply confirm to use it once you create a new profile or upgrade from a previous version of Thunderbird.

For previous versions of Thunderbird, the below still applies. The same may be true for Thunderbird 38 for builds distributed by third parties.

This is some dubious crap for documentation. If Lightning is bundled with v38 and above, how do you "invoke" it? I get no question during updates to "confirm" anything.

After going through a bunch of screens and registering on the Mozilla Support site, I posted a question about this problem but have NEVER received a reply.

A number of people have been having this problem for quite some time (posts about this problem are posted on other sites as well as here) and I don't know why it can't be fixed. Is there some way to get the problem resolved? Is there a way to get a message to someone on the development team? Does anyone have a fix for this crap?

If I sound irritated, it is because I am.

Thanks.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I just tried something and might have the definitive answer.
(for the previous poster, see #4).

1. If you already have the separate (traditional) Lightning extension installed, then installing the new Thunderbird doesn't install the built-in Lightning. You have to go through the process of updating the Lightning extension each time you update Thunderbird.
Normally, extensions should be updated at the same time. If not, press ALT to see full menus, then do:
Tools –> Add Ons, then update Lightning (or all extensions).
If it doesn't work properly, then add the proper Lightning version from this page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/ ... /versions/

2. If you update Thunderbird, then the built-in Lightning isn't installed (unless it already was installed).

3. If you never used Thunderbird – or if you install it on a new computer (new profile, new everything) –, then Thunderbird is installed with the built-in version of Lightning. There is a message at the bottom of the screen asking you whether you want to use the built-in Lightning or de-activate it.
– Press ALT to see the full menus, and there will be the "Event and Tasks" menu.
– Select "Agenda" and the local calendar ("My calendar") will be displayed. From there, you can add new calendars (local and network-based), and once you connect to other agendas, you can even delete the built-in one.

4. If you already use Thunderbird with the Lightning add-on and want, from now on, to use the built-in Lightning, here is what you should do.

– Close Thunderbird.
Make a copy of your profile. This way, if it doesn't work, you won't lose anything.
– Open Thunderbird (again). Remove the Lightning extension.
– Quit Thunderbird.
– Install Thunderbird (either the Portable version if that's what you were using) or the fixed one from http://getthunderbird.com
– Start Thunderbird.
– Press ALT to see the full menus, and there will be the "Event and Tasks" menu.
– Click on "Events and Tasks –> Calendar" (or press Ctrl-Shift-C) to see the calendar(s). You will now see your calendars.

From this point, you will be using the integrated version of Lightning.

As far as I can tell, the add-on version and integrated versions are identical. They work the exact same way, with local, network-based and Google calendars. The only three differences I have seen are:
– In the Add-ons manager, it will be listed as "an integrated calendar for Thunderbird"
– If you use Beta versions of Thunderbird, the integrated calendar is available in many languages, whereas the add-on version is only available in English.
– Because it's integrated, it will be updated automatically each time you update Thunderbird. One less thing to worry about!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
markbannister

Post by markbannister »

markbannister wrote:Same issue after running with add ons disabled. Now under view menu, calendar and task panes are disabled. The today pane works just fine.
Just an update. I don't know if they were always there or just showed up, but the small icons in the top window bar are now showing the Task and Calendar buttons (far right side). Clicking them will toggle the calendar and menu tabs. "View-Calendar" and "View-Tasks" are still disabled.
Mark Bannister
JOP044

Post by JOP044 »

Mgagnonlv,

Thanks for the extensive post. It cleared up a number of questions I had about the "external" vs built-in version of Lightning.

Since I'm so tired of the ongoing issues with the external version of Lightning, I decided to try your #4 item for changing over to the built-in version. I followed your guidelines but it still doesn't work. I do not get the "Event and Tasks" menu item.

I think the problem is that even tough Lightning doesn't show up in Add-ons (so it can be removed) it is still there, sort of half installed. So even if you "remove" it, then you reinstall TB, it is still there even though it doesn't show in Add-ons.

I was going to list a number of the weird things that have happened trying to fix this problem but they seem to change behavior each time I try to replicate. At this point I would just like to know this: how can I COMPLETELY uninstall TB and Lightning so I reinstall TB and use the internal version? Also, where is the Lightning data stored (ie. location & file(s))?

BTW, I am running Windows 7 with the latest version of TB (38.7.2) so I think the version ow windows (and even any particular version of TB beyond v38.0 or so) has nothing to do with this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.