Task / event

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Kostenzer

Task / event

Post by Kostenzer »

Who can tell me the difference between Task and event in using Lightning?

Witch on do I use for what?

regards

Kos
ted939

Re: Task / event

Post by ted939 »

Yes, I wonder the same thing.

I suppose if there is some scheduled thing happening, for which nothing needs to be done other than attend it or know about it, then it would be a Calendar Event.
If there is something that needs to be done, but at no particular time/day, then it would be a Task.

BUT, if it is an Event where something needs to be done other than just attending, or if it is a Task that needs to be done at some particular time/day, then it would be both an Event AND a Task, right?

Can anyone out there clarify the best use for Tasks vs Events?

Thanks!
Ted
Decathlon

Post by Decathlon »

IMHO the difference is the "Status" that you can specify for a task but it doesn't make sense for an event.

For example if you have to bring your dog to the veterinary you set an event on a given date and hour and you will be busy for the entire time (you won't be able to do anything else) but if you have to build a dog house for your dog you have to set a task where you can define the status of your work if you need it.

The start date is when you can start to work on your project but it doesn't occupy you for the whole next time (you can always bring your dog to the veterinary); the due date is mandatory for your work e.g. before the winter otherwise your wife will throw you out along with the dog.
With the status you can define the progress of your work, if it needs an action (e.g. the type of dog house to build), the date when you complete the work (e.g. just for the record or if you have to be payed by someone) or you can cancel the task without eliminate it to keep track or to postpone the work (because, at last, you've decided to keep the dog in your house for this winter but your wife won't allow you to do the same for the next winter).
ted939

Post by ted939 »

Decathlon wrote:IMHO the difference is the "Status" that you can specify for a task but it doesn't make sense for an event.

For example if you have to bring your dog to the veterinary you set an event on a given date and hour and you will be busy for the entire time (you won't be able to do anything else) but if you have to build a dog house for your dog you have to set a task where you can define the status of your work if you need it.

The start date is when you can start to work on your project but it doesn't occupy you for the whole next time (you can always bring your dog to the veterinary); the due date is mandatory for your work e.g. before the winter otherwise your wife will throw you out along with the dog.
With the status you can define the progress of your work, if it needs an action (e.g. the type of dog house to build), the date when you complete the work (e.g. just for the record or if you have to be payed by someone) or you can cancel the task without eliminate it to keep track or to postpone the work (because, at last, you've decided to keep the dog in your house for this winter but your wife won't allow you to do the same for the next winter).
I like that, Decathlon. Good way of looking at it!