Lightning: how to store previous years?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Foxbat1951

Lightning: how to store previous years?

Post by Foxbat1951 »

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Thunderbird 45.2.0 with Lightning 4.7-
Is there a function or a way to store elsewhere previous years recorded in Lightning (2012,2013.2014)?
The above should, at my eyes, save same RAM memory.
Thanks.
Diane Vigil

Re: Lightning: how to store previous years?

Post by Diane Vigil »

I don't know about doing it year by year, but in Lightning, you could always export the .ics files (so you have a full backup), then in Lightning, delete the events you don't want to keep.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Diane Vigil wrote:I don't know about doing it year by year, but in Lightning, you could always export the .ics files (so you have a full backup), then in Lightning, delete the events you don't want to keep.
Dear Diane, thank you for the reply.
As I am a newbie in Ubuntu, where do I find ,ics file as there is not a folder for Lightning but only Thunderbird?
(I understand Lightning is an extension.)
The full .ics file name and its location would be of great help.
Thanks.
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

There would be an .ics file for each of your calendars (you can have more than one calendar within Lightning) and it would be named whatever you named it. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Ubuntu.

But rather than trying to find and copy the .ics files, you can export them directly from Thunderbird. Try:
- Events and Tasks > Export
- Select the calendar you want to save (looks like you have to save one at a time)
- Save
- Do the same for the rest of your calendars, if you have more than one.

Then (still in Thunderbird), delete the earlier events/tasks you want to delete.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Diane Vigil wrote:There would be an .ics file for each of your calendars (you can have more than one calendar within Lightning) and it would be named whatever you named it. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Ubuntu.

But rather than trying to find and copy the .ics files, you can export them directly from Thunderbird. Try:
- Events and Tasks > Export
- Select the calendar you want to save (looks like you have to save one at a time)
- Save
- Do the same for the rest of your calendars, if you have more than one.

Then (still in Thunderbird), delete the earlier events/tasks you want to delete.
Dear Diane, thanks for the reply.
I tried the "Export" as explained. I deleted all my meetings and events, but as I tried to import them again, for my control, I received this answer "Modification_failed".
Althought I may use Gedetit, Libreffice, Notepad to open these files, but NOT Calendar, which is the first option with the right click over the file.
I thought the saving on RAM Memory was more important than few Kb, anyway I prefer to have it clean.
Thanks