Calendar copy/paste not creating new event

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
clivew

Calendar copy/paste not creating new event

Post by clivew »

I tried copying an event and pasting it to a new date. I thought it worked until I edited the text of the "new" event.
That's when I found that the original event changed also. It seems the "new" event was not new at all, but just a link to the old event, even though it was on a different date. Any change I made to either was reflected in both. Absolutely NOT what I wanted.
DanRaisch

Re: Calendar copy/paste not creating new event

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Calendar forum.

Actually, it makes sense. You COPIED the information to the new date. Copying doesn't remove the entry from the original date, it creates a new entry with the same values in the date copied to. Try dragging the entry to the new date.
clivew

Post by clivew »

Respectfully, it does not. If I copy/paste (not cut/paste) an event to a new date I should be able to change the details of the new event without affecting the original.
Say I have a lecture on a certain date at a certain time at a certain location. Then there will be another lecture on a different date but everything else stays the same except the topic. I want to copy the original to the new date then edit the topic. I certainly do not want it to change the topic of the original date.
BTW: Why did you move it to Calendar?
I posted it as a bug to the bug forum.
Why do you think it is NOT a bug??
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

This is about the calendar.

If I copy an event (cntrl c) and paste to a new date (cntrl v), I get two separate events. The new one has the same info as the old but with the new date.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Yes Diane and you are right. Then if you open one of these events (say the new one) and change the text description, then that description only changes for the event you modified, not the old one. This is what the OP expects and what happens on my computer, but it doesn't seem to work that way on their computer.

Why?

– Is it a repetitive event?
If you have created the event by saying that it's weekly from now until December (for example), then, when you edit one of the weeks to change details, you have to be careful to "edit only this occurrence", otherwise the change will be reflected throughout the series.

– Are you using a remote calendar?
Then you might have a problem with your server (rare) or you might have been modifying the new event just at the moment Thunderbird-Lightning and the server were synchronizing. In other words, you copied and pasted, the new event was sent to the server, and just as you were modifying it, the server sends back the information about what it should be.
BTW, I have seen one webcal server that was particularly problematic about such changes.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Interesting. Thanks.
clivew

Post by clivew »

I tried again following your various remarks.
Now it is working as you suggested and as I wanted.
Weird.
FYI: the original was not a repeating event and I am using Google Calendar.
Thank you all so much for your help. I will post again if it recurs.