Calendar missing from Thunderbird

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
mjackson

Calendar missing from Thunderbird

Post by mjackson »

We had some problems with the first-released TB 52 - IMAP compacting bug - and downgraded to 45.8.0. At some point another user said yes to upgrading to 52.1.1; this had other problems so we downgraded to 45.8.0 again. At some point in this waltz the TB calendar disappeared, so I'm trying to get it back (on 45.8.0). There's a greyed-out entry for Lightning in the Extensions tab, with a note claiming "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird." Restarting just returns to this state, and the other actionable entry (Undo) doesn't appear to do anything. How can I get the calendar back on this (64-bit Windows 7) machine?
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
DanRaisch

Re: Calendar missing from Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Download and install the version that is compatible with Thunderbird 45.8.0 -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... /versions/
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Yes, that's obvious. I had previously tried that using Lightning 4.7.7; seeing that although this is advertised as covering TB 45.* there is a better match for 45.8.0 I downloaded Lightning 4.7.8 and tried installing that. No change - same behavior.
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

More: following the manual procedure (described for Firefox at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ca ... n-or-theme) I was able to identify the folder within the profile extensions folder which contains Lightning. Shutting down TB, deleting that folder, then restarting didn't change anything - the deleted folder regenerated. Then I noticed that there was a "staged" folder within extensions, which contained a copy of the deleted folder (and hence was the source of the regeneration). So I again shut down TB and deleted both the Lightning folder and the "staged" folder. Upon restart the "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird" entry was now gone from the Extensions tab, but of course there was still no calendar. So I did the install from file of the correct Lightning xpi version - which restored the deleted folders within the extensions folder, and the useless "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird" entry in the Extensions tab, but no calendar function. Clearly something more needs to be done, but what?
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Slight modification of the above - rather than just shutting down TB I uninstalled it, deleted the "staged" folder from the extensions folder, then reinstalled TB 45.8.0 and added Lightning 4.7.8 from the xpi file. This did not change anything - still where we were initially.
terrathunderbird

Post by terrathunderbird »

I had a problem with Lightening in TB 52.1.1 (couldn't see the invite info) and went back to 52.0. Dan helped me locate the old version: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunder ... ases/52.0/

I went to the link, clicked on the 32 version for my Windows 32 machine.

Then choose the eng-US version, saved it to my disk.

Found it on my disk, clicked on it and it installed itself perfectly with my old settings and voila! fixed.

Thanks Dan and the T-bird forum!