Lightning reinstall still fails

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
mjackson

Lightning reinstall still fails

Post by mjackson »

Just updated to 52.3.0 and installing Lightning *still* hangs at the stage "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird" - restarting does nothing. History:

After dancing back and forth between TB 45 and 52 (because of the IMAP compacting issue) we found that Lightning had at some point disappeared. Installing the correct version of Lightning for the then-installed TB (45.8.0) failed as above. Various more elaborate attempts, culminating in ininstalling TB, deleting the folder associated with Lightning (and the "staged" folder) in the profile extensions folder, reinstalling TB, then installing Lightning also failed as above. Seems likely that somewhere else in the Thunderbird tree is confused about whether Lightning is already installed or not.

Suggestions?
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
WaltS48

Re: Lightning reinstall still fails

Post by WaltS48 »

My first would be to try a new profile.

Go to Help > Troubleshooting Information, click on about:profiles, click the Create a New Profile button and follow the instructions. I usually name the new profile testing, then click Next.

Go back to the about:profile page and click the Launch in new browser button. A new instance of Thunderbird will open.

I think it should have Lightning already installed. All you need to do is go to Add-ons, enable it and restart.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

WaltS48 wrote:My first would be to try a new profile.

Go to Help > Troubleshooting Information, click on about:profiles, click the Create a New Profile button and follow the instructions. I usually name the new profile testing, then click Next.

Go back to the about:profile page and click the Launch in new browser button. A new instance of Thunderbird will open.
Fails at this point - Launch in new browser button does nothing visible.
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Sorry - should have experimented further before responding. Shutting TB down, restarting, and selecting the new profile did bring up TB with visible calendar. But after restarting with the old profile we're back to "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird."
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

mjackson wrote:Sorry - should have experimented further before responding. Shutting TB down, restarting, and selecting the new profile did bring up TB with visible calendar. But after restarting with the old profile we're back to "Lightning will be installed after you restart Thunderbird."
So we know your old profile is broken, you need to reconfigure the new one with your email accounts and whatever else you need, or restore an older backup profile you know was working.

I suppose you could try copying everything from the old profile to the new profile, except for anything that has extensions in the name. Reinstall the extensions after you know everything else is working.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

OK - I decided to try something stupidly dangerous and deleted the Lightning folder (and the staged folder) from the extensions folder of the old profile, then copied the Lightning folder across from the new profile. Restarted and got a screen asking if I wanted to restart for the install, restarted again and now the calendar is present in the old profile. So it looks like at long last the problem is fixed.

Thanks for your help - this has been an annoyance for months.