Name a Thunderbird City In the Central Time Zone

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
PeteJC

Name a Thunderbird City In the Central Time Zone

Post by PeteJC »

Please, am I nuts?
I just moved to Nashville TN and want to change the Thunderbird time zone to the central time zone.
Which of the hundreds of America cities is in the Central time zone? I don't recognize any of them to be in the Central time zone.
How about adding Chicago to the list?
DanRaisch

Re: Name a Thunderbird City In the Central Time Zone

Post by DanRaisch »

Chicago is on the list. Look for "America/Chicago".
PeteJC

Post by PeteJC »

WTF? How did you do that? I searched and searched for America/Chicago and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Now the next mystery. I changed "Tools, options, calendar" to America/Chicago. The times for all the events shifted an hour earlier. I guess, as I entered each event it used the America/New York time zone (where I used to live). But I have entered quite a few since I moved to the Central time zone so those times are displayed as I entered them. But if I hover over the event it displays an hour earlier then the time listed. I even change one of those events to be in the Central time zone but hover displays an hour earlier then the listed time.
All this doesn't seem to bad but I want to sync with my phone using MyPhoneExplorer. Since I changed the time zone it is pulling all kinds of past and future events and trying to change their times.

I guess I will just have to work my way through this.

Wait? I have an event that I set at 8:30 AM Chicago time. I save it and the Calendar shows it at 9:30. Is there somewhere else in Thunderbird that I have to change the time zone?
Thanks Again,
Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird doesn't have an internal time control, it just uses the system time. Have you confirmed that Windows is set to not only the correct time but the correct time zone?

Moving to Calendar forum.
PeteJC

Post by PeteJC »

Yes, correct time and zone in Windows. And the TB message times are correct for my time zone.

I have done more damage. Since I posted before, keeping everything the same (event set at 8:30, Central time, Calendar displaying at 9:30), I stopped Thunderbird and restarted it. Now the Calendar is displaying 8:30. It seems Calendar didn't update the display when I changed the time zone. I did click Synchronize just for fun.

BUT now all my other events have moved ahead one hour. Even those in the past. It looks like I scheduled those events while in NY and now Calendar is displaying them in Central time. I guess I can get used to this. But MyPhoneExplorer wants to update hundreds of events. Yech!