Attaching files or folders to events or tasks

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
shmooey

Attaching files or folders to events or tasks

Post by shmooey »

Hello, internet discussion board. I've been needing to install a good calendar app, and I wanted to use Lightning on account of my being such a big Mozilla fankid. I tried out Lightning this afternoon, and it does all that I need and then some. Except for one small, yet absolutely crucial, detail...

If I want to create an event or task, there is a whole box - given the same size as "attendees" and "description" - in which to attach things. The only thing that it will allow me to attach easily are websites, and - in my humble opinion - websites aren't even really attachments. If I'm organizing a meeting, I will need to attach related files and folders to the event or task. It's what I have a digital calendar for.

I searched through the forums here, and found some people asking the same questions back from 2011 onward, but nowhere have I found a functional solution. The most functional method - described here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p10633037 - simply doesn't work if a file is contained in Windows in the "My Documents" folder, or in a subfolder which is also comprised of two or more words, and to be honest it really feels like it might be more trouble than it's worth to full embrace this system if it means that I have to manually type out the long address to each document that I need for each event that I have.

It's frustrating, especially knowing that there is a completely functional "browse" and "attach file" component in Thunderbird itself, and the calendar is simply an extension of that software. This isn't a criticism, I'm just legitimately, bona fide puzzled. How do other people actually use the calendar?? I am not really interested in hosting every file that I might need online, especially when I'm just putting together a presentation of new material that I'd rather keep secure, and yet I can't wrap my head around typing out file:///C:/users/___/My Documents/R and D/wheel/schm02.doc for each incident.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide ~
shmooey

Re: Attaching files or folders to events or tasks

Post by shmooey »

Hey all. So... here's the workaround I'm using, I guess.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/251406/ ... sions.html

Once again, it only works if there are no spaces in the file folders or names, but that seems to be a viable workaround for now. If there are any calendar developers who read these posts - all I'm really looking for is to be able to create a list of related documents for events or tasks. It would be fantastic if I could take notes on a meeting, and then just simply make a quick link from my note file to the event on my calendar, and have a handy portfolio of everything that was referred to. It seems relatively uncomplicated compared to the overall amount of work that has already been done to have this wonderful software available in the first place, but I'm not the type to look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks for all the work you've done.
morat

Re: Attaching files or folders to events or tasks

Post by morat »

shmooey wrote:simply doesn't work if a file is contained in Windows in the "My Documents" folder, or in a subfolder which is also comprised of two or more words
Try using the "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents" folder instead of the "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\My Documents" folder. The latter is a JUNCTION point.

I got the "Launch Application" window when I tried to open the following URLs.

file:///C:/Users/John/Documents/Alpha%20Beta/test.pdf
file:///C:/Users/John/Documents/Alpha%20Beta/test.odt

These files are in the "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Alpha Beta" folder.

I was able to open the pdf file in (1).
I was able to open the odt file in (2).

1. C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
2. C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 5\program\swriter.exe