Provider for Google Calendar, One Way Only?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
beachesto

Provider for Google Calendar, One Way Only?

Post by beachesto »

I'm working on trying to sync my Lightning Calendar with Google Calendar. I've downloaded and installed Provider for Google Calendar. I've input a number of events into the Google Calendar, then used the File>New>Calendar>On Network to update Lightning with the items in Google Calendar. That all worked... once. I got the instructions from, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... e-calendar

My questions are regarding ongoing updating/syncing. I'm aware of the Synchronize button on Lightning that allows me to update Lightning from Google Calendar. Is there a way to enter items into Lightning and have those update to Google Calendar?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Provider for Google Calendar, One Way Only?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Calendar forum.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I always thought that button worked both ways.

Then again, the test event I just created in Lightning, immediately appeared in the Google Calendar on the web.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
beachesto

Post by beachesto »

Interesting. I can get it to go from Google to Lightning, but not the other way around. Will try again.

EDIT: Nope. No joy. I can create something on Google and it will download to Lightning, but I can't create something in Lightning and have it update to Google. I can; however, delete an item in Lightning that was synced from Google and it will delete in Google as well. Very odd.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Unless you have special issues, and assuming both calendars have read/write privileges, it works both ways. However, if you experiment too quickly, there may be a few seconds offset in the process which will foul the computer. So try deleting or updating an event you haven't changed for at least 1 hour and see what happens.

Another issue that I'm aware of is that Google allows only a certain number of update requests per hour. So if you have manually synched 5 or 6 times in a row, Google may well ignore future update requests for 1-2 hours (not sure of the specifics, but I know it is an issue).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
beachesto

Post by beachesto »

Just to put a cap on this, it appears the link is quasi-two way. If I create an event in Lightning, it will not update to Google Calendar. If I create an event in Google Calendar, it will sync with Lightning. If I then move an event in Lightning that was created in Google Calendar, it will update in Google Calendar as well. So it appears that items need to be created in Google Calendar first for full syncing.