Calendar synchronization with Google

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
seemoose

Calendar synchronization with Google

Post by seemoose »

Hello all,

My wife uses Thunderbird for her email and has a local ("Home") calendar on her laptop. She also has an Android phone on which she has been manually creating calendar entries in her Google calendar. I am trying to synchronize the two calendars so that any events that she creates on her local calendar show up on her Google calendar. I am able to add her Google calendar as a *separate* calendar in Thunderbird (Lightning) through the Provider for Google Calendar addon, I can create and change events on it, etc. so that part works. However, events on the local calendar do not show up in her Google calendar.

I'm probably not understanding calendar synchronization correctly, but is there any way to somehow link the local calendar with the Google calendar so whatever happens in one is reflected in the other? The only way I can think of is to essentially export her local calendar, import it into Google, delete the local calendar, and just have her only use the Google calendar in Lightning.

She is running Thunderbird 52.5.0 with Lightning 5.4.5 and Provider for Google Calendar 3.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.
mgagnonlv

Re: Calendar synchronization with Google

Post by mgagnonlv »

Your last paragraph is right.

Basically, don't use the local calendar. Only use the Google one. I don't remember if you can delete the local calendar, but you can either reuse it as a holiday calendar (for example) or rename it as "Do not use".
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
seemoose

Re: Calendar synchronization with Google

Post by seemoose »

That's what I ended up doing, thanks for confirming.