MozillaZine

Accept invites into Google Calendar

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
wms1yter5

Post Posted January 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hi, when I accept an invite, it always goes into my home calendar, on the local machine. I'd like them to go into my Google calendar, which is synced nicely with Lightning and shows up fine.

Or even be able to move an invite that went into my home calendar to the google calendar.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

WaltS48

Post Posted January 17th, 2018, 7:42 am

Is the Home calendar or the Google calendar selected in the Calendar List?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

wms1yter5

Post Posted January 17th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Both are selected. If I only have the Google calendar selected, will that be the default calendar that invites get added to?

WaltS48

Post Posted January 18th, 2018, 8:39 am

wms1yter5 wrote:Both are selected. If I only have the Google calendar selected, will that be the default calendar that invites get added to?

How did you select both? I can only have one at a time highlighted, even with all of them enabled (Check boxes checked).

Highlight the Google calendar and see what happens.

wms1yter5

Post Posted January 18th, 2018, 11:47 am

I guess I probably misunderstand "select". I have both checked in the list on the left. The appointments for Google are blue in the calendar, Home in a light green.

When an appointment comes in, there is an accept button, but it does not give me a choice of which calendar to accept it into. So I click the button, and it goes into the Home calendar by default.

Does this make sense? Any advice appreciated.

WaltS48

Post Posted January 19th, 2018, 8:44 am

So you have both calendars enabled.

Which one has the highlight bar across it?

Which calendar is selected when you create a new event?

wms1yter5

Post Posted January 19th, 2018, 11:10 am

I'm not sure what the "highlight bar" is? Where can I find that?

The listing in the panel on the left is Google first, then Contacts (not sure what that has to do with the calendar, but anyway), and then Home. There does not seem to be any highlight bars as far as I can tell.

When I create an event, the Google calendar is selected. I can click on the Calendar and change it to Home, but of course never do that.

wms1yter5

Post Posted January 23rd, 2018, 1:08 pm

Just to clarify, when I create a meeting directly in Lightning, Google is the default calendar. However, when an invite comes in by email, there don't appear to be any choices, and Accept put it in the Home calendar, so only accessible on my local computer.

WaltS48

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 7:58 am

wms1yter5 wrote:Just to clarify, when I create a meeting directly in Lightning, Google is the default calendar. However, when an invite comes in by email, there don't appear to be any choices, and Accept put it in the Home calendar, so only accessible on my local computer.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

I don't get any invitations by email, so I was wondering if the calendar selection was the problem. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I would just try to move it to the Google calendar.

wms1yter5

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to move invitations or appointments between calendars. If I could do that, all would be solved! Any hints?

mgagnonlv

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 8:14 pm

@ wms1yter5

I think there is an inherent limitation of either Google Calendar or the Provider for Google Agenda extension that might play with it.

For each local calendar as well as the main Google Calendar attached with each Google account and many WebCal calendars, there is a default email attached to them. That email was set when you created each calendar in Lightning and can be seen by right-clicking on each Calendar and checking for Properties.

Note that the main calendar of Google account, say "me@gmail.com" can be linked in Lightning to email address "thatsme@mydomain.com" if you want to.

So if you have :
– local calendar associated with email1@user.com
– main Google Calendar of account "me@gmail.com" associated with email2@domain.com
– main Google Calendar of account "thatothermail@gmail.com" associated with thatothermail@gmail.com
– WebDav calendar of your office account associated with mymail@work.com
etc.

Then when you receive an invitation at "email@user.com", it will automatically be added to the local calendar, and if you receive an invitation at "email@domain.com" it will automatically be added to the main Google Calendar of account "me@gmail.com".

So if you have only one calendar affected to any of your emails, then the process is simple: it's clear which calendar will receive an invitation. But if you have more than one writable calendar affected to a given email account, then I *think* the appointment is added to the first calendar you have created in Lightning.

The latter part, however, I'm not totally sure because I only have one series of calendars attached to my work email address and the server has its own set of priorities too.

Solution
So in a nutshell, if you go to your local calendar and define its associated email address to "none", then the only (or first) calendar associated with your email address will be your Google calendar, and from now on your invites will be added to your Google calendar.
Michel Gagnon

wms1yter5

Post Posted February 2nd, 2018, 3:21 pm

Great stuff Michel. I have set my local calendar email address to "None" by right-clicking the calendar and selecting Properties.

I set my Google calendar address to my usual address that invitations come in on, by right-clicking the calendar and selecting properties.

I sent myself a calendar invite, accepted it, and it went into my Google calendar!

This will save me a lot of problems. Thanks very much.

mgagnonlv

Post Posted February 3rd, 2018, 12:09 pm

Glad it worked as expected.
Michel Gagnon

Return to Calendar