Using Lightning with Google Calendar Not Working

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Budgie3

Using Lightning with Google Calendar Not Working

Post by Budgie3 »

I am following the instructions in the Mozilla Support pages with the same title and working on Thunderbird 52.7.0 (64 bit) on openSUSE Leap 42.3.
Unfortunately some of the detailed instructions in the Support pages seem to have been written for another version, for example:-
Importing the calendar into Lightning

To import the calendar into Lightning:

Go to the Thunderbird's File menu and select New. From the sub-menu, select Calendar.
Once the wizard opens, select On the network from the available options and click Next.
Choose Google Calendar.
No wizard opens and nowhere is it possible to select Google Calendar.
I have tried both the manual instructions for installing Provider for Google Calendar and installing it from an Add-Ons search. The Add-on is showing as installed if I use the latter approach but there is no sign of any wizard or opportunity to select 'On the Network' only from my local directories.

Does this mean that it is no longer possible to use Google Calendar with Lightning?
DN123ABC

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar Not Working

Post by DN123ABC »

Following.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Go to the Calendar tab.
Select a Calendar in the Calendar List in the Calendar Pane. (It's the pane on the left).
Right click on it. (I use the default Home calendar, but any will do).
Click New Calendar.
Select On the Network.
Click Next.
Select Google Calendar.
Click Next.
I'll let you figure out the rest.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I think Google has changed how they share stuff or something. Where in google do we get the address? Is it .ics file? Not sure if we put .ics or Google, because there are no clear, CURRENT instructions for doing this ANYWHERE (Google, Thunderbird, or "Google Provider").
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

DN123ABC wrote:I think Google has changed how they share stuff or something. Where in google do we get the address? Is it .ics file? Not sure if we put .ics or Google, because there are no clear, CURRENT instructions for doing this ANYWHERE (Google, Thunderbird, or "Google Provider").
Does the window not say to use an existing session or enter your email address? That would be your Google Mail address.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cr ... calendar_2
man_without_clue

Post by man_without_clue »

I am having problem with the lightning and google also.

Recently I have noticed I cannot add the new calendar which I have created on the google.

At the point where I choose the calendar to add, it just shows blank, nothing to choose.

I am using Debian Buster and TB 52.9.1.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.1 and TB 60.0.

In Firefox (or browser of your choice)
  • I opened Google Calendar.
    Selected the "+" next to "Add a friends calendar".
    Selected "New calendar".
    Entered a name into the dialog box that appeared.
    Clicked "Create Calendar".
    Clicked "Configure", but didn't make any changes, or click "Export Calendar".
    Clicked the Settings arrow at the top of the page to go back to my Google Calendar page.
    (I also added two football teams schedules using "Browse calendars of interest".)
In Thunderbird
  • Using File > New > Calendar from the Menu Bar, or right click any calendar in the list and select "New Calendar".
    Select "On the Network".
    Click "Next".
    Select "Google Calendar".
    Click "Next".
    I use my existing selection with my Google Mail address already filled in.
    Click "Next".
    I Get a list of all my calendars including the 2 new test and sports calendars I created to teach myself how this works.
    I put a check mark in the box for each calendar and...
    ...Click "Next".
    Get a message that my calendar has been created.
    Click "Finish" and they appear in Lightning.
I suggest you disable all other extensions except Lightning and Provider for Google Calendar, restart TB and see if that helps. If it does then you need to determine which extension is interfering.

If it doesn't, setup a test profile and try there.
man_without_clue

Disabling other extensions did not help.

I still don't see any available google calendar at all.I will try setting up new profile later.
man_without_clue

Ok,

This is what I did.

I created another debian user account for the test.
There I configured Thunderbird lightning with provider for google calendar, and it worked!

So , the problem is with the current profile but I do not know how to fix this. How can I clear existing calendar data and start over again?
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

WaltS48 wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:I think Google has changed how they share stuff or something. Where in google do we get the address? Is it .ics file? Not sure if we put .ics or Google, because there are no clear, CURRENT instructions for doing this ANYWHERE (Google, Thunderbird, or "Google Provider").
Does the window not say to use an existing session or enter your email address? That would be your Google Mail address.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cr ... calendar_2

I think you are getting close. I no longer see it asking for an email address. I removed everything and reinstalled, but it still won't prompt for the gmail address.
EwaldFernbach

Post by EwaldFernbach »

using thunderbird 52.9.1 (64-bit) provider for google calendar 4.4.1 and Lightning 5.4 on Ubuntu 18.04
I have the problems described above: on an attempt to sync with google calendars I get a blank screen at the point where I should see the selection of calendars created in my google account.
Here is what I did so far: start from scratch with a new Thunderbird Profile, installed Lightning and provider for google calendar add-ons
Went through the motions New Calendar > On the Network > entered google account e-mail address > was asked by google to enter password and allow access.
At that point I was able to import all available calendars from my google profile (lets call it profile 1).
However, now I would like to import a calendar from another google profile (lets call it profile 2). I go through the motions New Calendar > on the network > enter google account e-mail address > being asked for credentials.
After having done all that I get a blank screen with no calendars from the google profile 2.
I go to my Google profile 1 create a new calendar for testing purposes. When going through the Thunderbird motions New Calendar > ... (see above) I get a blank screen at the point where the newly created calendar should appear.
The topic offered by DN123ABC doesn't give a clue to fix this.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

@EwaldFernbach

Sound to me like Google profile 2 would be associated with another Gmail address, which you need to enter in another New Calendar > On the Network and repeat the steps for profile 1.

I'm not going to create another Gmail account to test that theory.
EwaldFernbach

Post by EwaldFernbach »

Sorry for being not clear, but that was exactly what I did. However, after entering the Gmail address for profile 2 and inputting the credentials I got a blank. When trying to go back to the profile 1 Gmail address I got a blank there too.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

EwaldFernbach wrote:Sorry for being not clear, but that was exactly what I did. However, after entering the Gmail address for profile 2 and inputting the credentials I got a blank. When trying to go back to the profile 1 Gmail address I got a blank there too.
Interesting.

Try a new profile.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager