Tasks with Google Calendar

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
fsr76

Tasks with Google Calendar

Post by fsr76 »

So, does Google Calendar not support Category for Tasks?

Everything else seems to be working fine, except that I want to Categorize my Tasks. And then sort by Category in the Task List.

The only way I have been able to successfully Categorize a Task is if I add a local calendar just for Tasks.

But, I would prefer to use Google Tasks, just wish I could categorize them.

Any work around or solution to this? Or alternative? Would another Network based Calendar support Categories for Tasks?
mgagnonlv

Re: Tasks with Google Calendar

Post by mgagnonlv »

The problem is that Google is too limited with regards to tasks. There is only a target (ending) date but no time, a name and a description. No starting time, no category, no attached people or document, etc. So if you add these details in Thunderbird, they are stripped as soon as Lightning connects to Google.

If you sync on another system that uses tasks, you will be able to get more.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
XeataJames

Re: Tasks with Google Calendar

Post by XeataJames »

Update: With some of the new plugins getting better, I now use Thunderbird with Google Calendar (including multiple Task Lists) as my primary interface. Synchronization is pretty foolproof for me.

I never need to visit Google's web interface. (possible exception: am still figuring out how to work with recurring tasks which DO appear in Google but seem to vanish in Thunderbird... not certain if they are going to magically appear when they are supposed to)

Plugins I use are:
gContactSync
Lightning
Provider for Google Calendar
Duplicate Contacts Manager

If I have the time, I will post a how-to video on this.

(Êtes-vous "le" Michel Gagnon avec qui j'ai travaillé chez Babel?)