Lightning custom reminders not working

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
lukeairig

Lightning custom reminders not working

Post by lukeairig »

Windows 8.1
Thunderbird 52.7.0 (32 bit)
Lightning 5.4.7

I am having a problem with Lightning custom reminders.
Lightning is linked to my Google calendar.
I am able to create a maximum of 5 reminders per event (The selected calendar has a limitation of 5 reminders per event)
I have a number of events that have 5 reminders set via the Reminder 'custom...' drop down list option. They all worked properly
until today, August 22, 2018.

Normally, when I Open an event set up with 5 custom reminders:
The 'Edit Event' window displays.
The 'Reminder:' drop down list shows 'custom...' and there is a blue link to the right of the drop down list that says 'multiple reminders...'
If I click the blue 'multiple reminders...' link, the 'Set up Reminders' window displays and the 5 reminders are properly listed as expected.

But now, when I Open the same event set up with 5 custom reminders:
The 'Reminder:' drop down list shows 'No reminder' and there is no blue link to the right of the drop down list that says 'multiple reminders...'
If I select the 'Reminder:' drop down list option 'custom...', the 'Set up Reminders' window displays and rather than no custom reminders
listed, the 5 reminders are listed.

If I click 'OK':
The 'Reminder:' drop down list shows 'custom...' and there is a blue link to the right of the drop down list that says 'multiple reminders...'
If I click 'Save and Close', The 'Edit Event' window closes but when I open the same event again The 'Reminder:' drop down list has reverted to
'No reminder' ('Save and Close' did not save)

If I click 'Cancel':
The 'Reminder:' drop down list shows 'No reminder' and there is no blue link to the right of the drop down list that says 'multiple reminders...'
If I close the 'Edit Event' window by clicking the white 'x' in the red block on the upper right the 'Save Event' window displays even
though no changes have been made to be saved.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem?

TIA

Luke
mgagnonlv

Re: Lightning custom reminders not working

Post by mgagnonlv »

Are you using the extension "Provider for Google Calendar"? If so, are you using version 4.4.x?

There is a bug in version 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 that produces exactly what you describe, both in Thunderbird 60 and in Thunderbird 52.x (I use v.52.9). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1481043

If you are in this situation, you have two choices:
– If the last thing you do is set a reminder (one, not 5) and close, you may save the changes. Even if it shows "no reminders", the reminder will be saved. As soon as you reopen the event, the reminder will be dismissed... unless you set it again.
– Uninstall Provider 4.4.x and reinstall Provider 3.3. It works ok (I use it on Google calendars and with a CalDav calendar).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
lukeairig

Post by lukeairig »

Many thanks for detailing the workarounds, Michel.

Yep, I am using Provider for Google Calendar 4.4.1.

I have been playing around with it and noticed that if I open an existing event that has a reminder but is showing 'No reminder', selecting the 'Custom...' drop down list option will display the reminder that would normally be displayed. As long as you do not save before exiting, the reminder appears to be retained.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I went back to Provider 3.3. I'll wait until they "provide" version 4.5 before I try the new versions. Which also means that I stay at TB 52.9 for the foreseeable future.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)