Mailinabox support?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Ozfer

Mailinabox support?

Post by Ozfer »

I am trying to use the built in calendar with Mailinabox CalDav. This automatically works with Apples cal app and I would expect it to be that easy with Thunderbird cal. I asked over on their forum and they don't seem to know since it works with other calendars. The Caldav redirect URL is in place. I have also manually pointed it to the right page and it asks me for my username and password but the calendar never populates. I also get no error messages or notifications. How is this supposed to be setup?
tanstaafl

Re: Mailinabox support?

Post by tanstaafl »

You can configure Lightning to use CalDAV with another calendar service , but can't do that with Mail-in-a-box?

Is the problem that auto-discovery doesn't work with your calendar provider because it is a custom configuration? i.e. similar to the difference between creating an account for Gmail and using DreamHost?

Can you use another email client that supports CalDAV based calendars with that same cloud provider? I'm asking to try to figure out is the issue mail-in-a-box or Lightning specific.

A recent comment on https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox/issues/941 says the "The problem may come in where the maib server is hosting multiple email domains" and "To make Thunderbird autodiscover work we would have to add the following to nginx local.conf example.com section and a cname for autoconfig to example.com:".....

I assume you are the same Ozfer as in https://discourse.mailinabox.email/t/th ... setup/3880
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Support to the Calendar forum
Ozfer

Post by Ozfer »

I can use business cal pro on android with auto discover working, mail on ios/os X with auto discovery working, the online owncloud calendar, and others all work with auto discovery. With lightning even manually pointing it to the right place wont work never mind autodiscovery. Lightning gives 0 status messages. It asks for my username and password and no items ever appear.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Is your server hosting multiple email domains?
Ozfer

Post by Ozfer »

Yes but I am using the standard domain, I have tried manually pointing it in the right place, and furthermore it works with all the other caldav clients.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Ozfer

Post by Ozfer »

Are you kidding me? According to that matrix this calendar plugin is randomly broken/failing with many caldav servers?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The wiki page says "This page was last modified on 6 April 2017" But some of the entries such as "For Yahoo, as of Jan 2009, CalDAV is only available with the new Yahoo Calendar Beta, not the default Yahoo Calendar. " give the impression the wiki page hasn't been updated for a long while.
Ozfer

Post by Ozfer »

Great I guess I am going to outlook
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You might try the ReminderFox add-on (instead of Lightning) before you switch.

"Okay I am trying to use outlook and I cannot get the calendar to work with outlook either. No error messages."

You might try the "emclient" email client. It has built-in support for remote calendars. There is a free version that is limited to two accounts, and a pro version. I've been occasionally using it for many years when trying to figure out if Thunderbird or the server is at fault. It doesn't support any add-ons and has very little customization, but what it does it usually does well.

I've submitted a couple of bug reports against Lightning and gotten a response within 2 days each time. If you're still trying to figure out what email client to switch to I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ against Lightning.