Google Calendar Tasks have time field & Lightning doesn't

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
NginUS

Google Calendar Tasks have time field & Lightning doesn't

Post by NginUS »

I'm using Provider for Google Calendar & am just setting it up. I notice when it imports the tasks from Google their time field entry is ignored. As such I can only really use it from my phone.

I would like to be able to use the Desktop the same way- the whole point of setting up Lightning was to keep from always having to pick up my phone while I'm at the computer.

Can anyone help?

EDIT:
After further inspection it appears the time field in my Google Tasks is not provided via Google Tasks, but rather an app I use on my phone called aCalendar. Some kind of added functionality that doesn't exist on Google Tasks. Will contact them for support on this.

In the meantime, if anyone's aware of a Tasks provider that'll sync with Lightning & provide time-based tasks management for Android, I'm all ears.
mgagnonlv

Re: Google Calendar Tasks have time field & Lightning doesn'

Post by mgagnonlv »

It exists in aCalendar and also in Lightning (with or without Provider). However, how tasks are displayed and what/how they are remembered depends on the platform where the tasks "calendar" is saved.

1. The corporate server we have at the office allows tasks with a start and stop day+time. These tasks are displayed on the calendar as well as in the task list. And with the corporate server, I can create a task that starts at 9:00 a.m. and finishes at 10:30 a.m.

2. Tasks you would create in Lightning in a local calendar as displayed in the task list.

3. Google tasks seem to need their own Tasks calendar.
With prior versions of the Provider, you could set a time for tasks, but Google keeps only the end date; that created issues. The provider now allows you to enter only what works with Google.

To make a long story short, I don't use tasks. I set them as events in my Calendar instead.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

mgagnonlv wrote:It exists in aCalendar and also in Lightning (with or without Provider). However, how tasks are displayed and what/how they are remembered depends on the platform where the tasks "calendar" is saved.
I see that in my "New Task" dialog [0] there's only the due date field available. Glad to hear it's at least possible to have a time field.
mgagnonlv wrote:The corporate server we have at the office allows tasks with a start and stop day+time. These tasks are displayed on the calendar as well as in the task list.
The Tasks I create in the aCalendar Tasks app show up on the aCalendar Calendar in order based on what time they're due. I'm interested in what kind of software your office is using, so that I can use it as a reference point to look for a way to do that myself.

[0]
https://files.catbox.moe/sru5mh.png

mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Software used at my office? I don't have all the details (I'm not the IT), but it is based on OwnCloud.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)