[SOLVED] New to Lightning - how to sync Tasks?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Ed1

[SOLVED] New to Lightning - how to sync Tasks?

Post by Ed1 »

Is it possible to sync Tasks created on TB Lightning on one Windows 10 computer to Lightning Tasks on another Windows 10 computer? I am not looking for exporting and importing a file, but 2-way syncing. I also have an iPhone and, ideally, would like to sync the same Tasks to the iPhone Reminders app as well.

I already have my Lightning Calendar syncing (using CalDav) with my iCloud calendar, which also syncs the iCloud calendar with my iPhone's iOS Calendar app, with my iPhone's Outlook app and with the desktop Outlook software on my Windows computers. I have managed to get Task syncing going between Outlook (Windows desktop app) and iCloud.com Tasks. But not yet with Lightning Tasks.

I'm just wondering if Lightning's Tasks can sync 2-ways with any or all of these devices. Without a way to sync among devices, I think the Lightning Tasks function has limited usefulness.

Thanks.
Last edited by Ed1 on January 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed1

Re: New to Lightning - how to sync Tasks?

Post by Ed1 »

Using TBsync and Provider for CalDav and CardDav addons to sync with iCloud.

iCloud Tasks and Reminders can also be subscribed to manually without addons once iCloud user and calendar ID's are obtained. Needed to scour the web for how to do that for Reminders. Could only get info for Tasks after installing above addons.
Ed1

Re: [SOLVED] New to Lightning - how to sync Tasks?

Post by Ed1 »

The developer of the "TBsync" and "Provider for CalDav and CardDav" addons has worked very hard to add iCloud syncing functionality. He has asked me to mention that the iCloud syncing functions are, as of now, available only on the beta versions of those addons. He expects to have stable release versions available within a couple of weeks or so.

Here is the link to get the beta package:
https://tbsync.jobisoft.de/TbSyncBetaInstaller.xpi

Here is a link to the how-to-get-started guide, which also includes a reference to the beta release and how to install that:
https://github.com/jobisoft/TbSync/wiki ... et-started
Ed1

Re: [SOLVED] New to Lightning - how to sync Tasks?

Post by Ed1 »

The developer of the TBsync and Provider for CalDav and CardDav addons has asked me to follow up with an updated status report on those addons. Both have new release versions out which, for the first time, provide for two-way syncing between Thunderbird and iCloud.

Once set up, this will work for Calendar, Tasks, Reminders and Contacts, including iCloud contact groups. Keep in mind that iCloud will require the user to generate (on appleid.com) a device-specific password (NOT the user's Apple ID password) that needs to be entered once into the TBsync set up configuration.

The iCloud contact groups are able to be synced to TB as TB mailing lists. Due to a bug in TB, TB will not normally display in contact groups contacts without any specified email address, The addon developer was able to work around this bug by injecting random artificial entries in the email address field of such contacts. These artificial entries are NOT synced back to the mail server. This bug has already been approved for a solution by Mozilla and should be corrected soon in an upcoming TB release version. When that happens, the addon developer intends to update his addons again to remove his workaround, as it would no longer be necessary. But the addons are presently working well to sync iCloud with TB version 60.5.0.