How to back up Lightning Calendar

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Diane Vigil

How to back up Lightning Calendar

Post by Diane Vigil »

While I realize that individual calendars can be backed up manually, I have nine calendars, which makes this a little more work, especially if I'd like them backed up on a continual basis.

The Automatic Export extension(?), which worked through TB 31x, could be set up to back up individual calendars at specific times -- automatically.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ic-export/

Unfortunately, the author does not seem to be updating it (the updating stopped in 2012).

Is there anything like that available for TB 60x?
cecr

Re: How to back up Lightning Calendar

Post by cecr »

I don't know much about Lightning, but are you using it as a stand alone calendar (or 9 stand alones) or are you using Lightning to access other calendars eg Google calendar?

If you used, say Google and accessed it via Lightning, or accessed Google direct via an add-on, you wouldn't need to worry about a backup, although I accept you may have good reason not to use Google or any web based calendar.

The only alternative I know of in my limited knowldge of this is to use backup software to backup the individual calendar files, but at least my post will bump your post and maybe attract attention from the more knowledgable members.
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Thanks, cecr. Unfortunately, I'm using Lightning as a standalone (with nine separate calendars) ... so no way to access a Google calendar. (And I'd rather not put our calendared events on Google or elsewhere.) And it's possible to back up the individual calendars from Lightning itself ... was just hoping for an automated extension, which existed before.

But I do thank you for your input, and the bump.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I don't need reliable backups, but for my 2 calendars not on a network, I will periodically select one then right-click and use "Export Calendar".

Then save it in Home/Documents/Thunderbird/Calendar as an .ics file. Then back that up to my USB backup.

That makes it easy to Import into the same calendar in one of my other installations of Thunderbird on Linux or Windows.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

True enough, and I can back mine up that way as well. But I have nine separate calendars, so I was just hoping that the Automatic Export extension, or something like it, might be updated to work in current versions of TB. Thanks, though.