Lightning Problem - No Writeable Calendars issue

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
rfdes

Lightning Problem - No Writeable Calendars issue

Post by rfdes »

Thunderbird 60.7.0
Lightning V 6.2.7
Google Provider 4.4.2

Hopefully someone has a definitive answer for my problem.
I recently attempted to setup my calendar so that I can sync my Google Calendar. I've followed the instructions and all works as fine as far as synchronizing is concerned. The issue that I am experiencing is that when I receive a meeting invite from within Thunderbird, I get the following message: 'No writable calendars are configured for invitations Thunderbird'

So far I've not been able to find a solution to my problem. I've seen where quite a few people have reported this answer with various fixes but none have worked for me. Any help/tips would be appreciated.
Thanks'
Jim
mgagnonlv

Re: Lightning Problem - No Writeable Calendars issue

Post by mgagnonlv »

If I understand correctly, you are able to create events in your calendar(s)? So the problem is just with invites you receive. Right?

Do you have more than one email address? If so, it's probably because you haven't received the invite on the "proper" email address. For example, by default, the only email that can be used to write in your calendar is the gmail address associated with the calendar (ex.: me@gmail.com). If the invite has been sent to me@mydomain.com or even at secondaccount@gmail.com, Lightning tries to add the event in your Google calendar using that email... which is not authorized by default, hence the error message. Fortunately, there is a way to correct that.

What to do

– Close Thunderbird and open Google Calendar in your browser (https://calendar.google.com).
In the left panel, you will see a list of all your calendars.

– With your mouse, hover the name of your main calendar. Click on the three little dots open the menu, then select "Settings and Sharing".

– Under "Calendar settings" –> Share with specific people, there is only one name listed: that of your Gmail account.

– Click on "Add People". Then add your other address (me@mydomain.com), validate it (follow instructions), then give yourself all privileges.

– Close your browser window, then restart Thunderbird.

From that point, you should be able to add to your calendar invites that were sent to "me@domain.com
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
cement_head

Post by cement_head »

Hello,

I have two similar-ish problems. I have TWO gMAIL addresses - one for work, and one for personal. I use Thunderbird 68.8.0 and Lightning to access my GoogleCalendars. I recently deleted a lot of calendars that I did not create, and I've just kept the two calendars associated with each gMAIL address.

Problem #1
Now I'm getting a error when I receive an ICS - "No writable calendars". What happened? I can add the event to my GoogleCalendar directly in Google and then it will sync with Lightning, but I cannot add it directly from within Thunderbird.

Problem #2
Often when I add an event, it is DUPLICATED between both of my GoogleCalendars. This is SUPER annoying and a massive scheduling problem. Some events are professional, some are personal. How do I make sure an event added to one given calendar stays with that given calendar?

Thanks
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Problem 1 :

Here is one point to check.
Open each calendar property and make sure you have an email associated with each of the calendars. If you don't, then you won't be able to post events in a calendar.

By the way, only the main calendar for each gmail account can be linked to an email address. Secondary calendars can't.

Problem 2

Check that both calendars are indeed independent!
I once had a problem like that because I configured Calendar1 as my Google Calendar 1 and Calendar2 as my GoogleCalendar 2! That was a long time ago and I'm not even sure if that can still be done.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)