synchronization uni-directional

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
johnny_canuck

synchronization uni-directional

Post by johnny_canuck »

Been using Thunderbird, and Google calendar, for a long time. Generally, without a problem.

However, with upgrade to TB 68.x, I've noticed a very annoying problem I can't seem to solve. If I make a calendar entry on Google calendar (say, via a browser), and then fire up TB, look at my calendar, there is the entry (I might have to manually synchronize, depending on the interval between entering the even on Google calendar, and looking for it on TB).

But...(and this is the problem)...I've noticed now that events I enter using the TB calendar (Lightning, using the Google provider) are *not* showing up on Google calendar (no matter how many times I synchronize, or how long I wait). THis is a *huge* problem, since I'm using Google calendar as the intermediary between any number of TB installs on various machines I use.

I checked everything I can think of (even to the point of trying a brand new clean install of TB), and nothing seems to change -- event info flows fine from Google calendar -> TB, but not the other way around.

Any ideas?
WaltS48

Re: synchronization uni-directional

Post by WaltS48 »

I no longer use the Provider for Google Calendar extension and use Google CaDAV for my Google Calendar.

I just created a test event in that calendar in Thunderbird, then opened the calendar in the browser and the event was there.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
johnny_canuck

Post by johnny_canuck »

WaltS48 wrote:I no longer use the Provider for Google Calendar extension and use Google CaDAV for my Google Calendar.

I just created a test event in that calendar in Thunderbird, then opened the calendar in the browser and the event was there.
Interesting -- any chance you could point me at the directions for setting up CalDAV? I used that approach years ago, but I suspect the mechancis have changed with recent 'upgrades' to TBird.
johnny_canuck

Post by johnny_canuck »

Figured it out on my own (or, at least, one way). Installed the TBSync and CalDav addons. Seems to work like a charm. The TBSync addon does the heavy lifting of 'talking to Google'.
Last edited by johnny_canuck on January 3rd, 2020, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Happy to hear you solved your problem.

I just tested creating an event in my Google calendar in Thunderbird 68.3.1 on Linux Mint 19.3, which still has the Provider for Google Calendar extension and it appeared in my web calendar.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
johnny_canuck

Post by johnny_canuck »

One of my machines has the same setup -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. However, my experience was not as successful as yours. In the end, I have TBSync + CalDav on my Mint, CentOS, and Windows machines. Seems to be working well on all of them.

No if only the devs would fix the calendar so this it doesn't open at midnite! [And no, deleting the session.json file didn't help. ;-]