Can't dismiss reminder in lightning

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
mushy

Re: Can't dismiss reminder in lightning

Post by mushy »

I had the same reminder issue ... however

I have installed the latest from here:
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/t ... downloads/
and here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... win32-xpi/

So far so good! :-) Just thought I would post in case it helps others as the links were kinda hard to locate.
Cheers.
Stebs

Post by Stebs »

Same Problem here too (since few months) and thanks to this thread I found the solution (someone mentioned it before):
Somehow Thunderbird/Lightning set my Calendar to read only.
Unticking the "read only" in the properties of my calendar did the trick...
(I have a "regular" calendar (no google sync etc.) that I import regularly from Outlook with FreeMiCal)
leighelse

Post by leighelse »

I'm running Lightning 1.0pre and Google Provider 0.6pre on Thunderbird 3.0b2 under Windows XP SP2.

Some historical calendar item reminders can't be dismissed, nor can I change those reminders from within Thunderbird (although it appears to allow me to do so without error). It's necessary for me to go into Google Calendar on-line and remove the reminder. This is a major annoyance.

::Leigh
http://www.else.co.nz/
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde
daorc

Post by daorc »

I had this problem. somehow my calendar had been marked as read-only. I right-clicked on the calendar and unchecked the "readonly" box and that solved the problem. I really hope this works for you too!
leighelse

Post by leighelse »

@daorc: Thank you for this. Which calendar do you right-click on? This right-click option doesn't exist in Google Calendar or in the Events tab in Thunderbird.
chevron36

Possible Work Around

Post by chevron36 »

I found a possible work around.

under the tasks view try to check one of the items, an error will occur. then click one of the show options (i used today) the item disappeared and didn't return when i selected show all.

Under the mail sidebar view you can click show completed tasks
sterndata

Post by sterndata »

I right clicked on the remote calendar and, under properties, unchecked "show alarms". I lose the alarm function, but I don't get pinged all the time. My calendar is defintely not read-only. I'm able to posted from Lightning and have it show up at Google.

Using the nightly builds (Aug 20) under TB 3.0b3.
leighelse

Post by leighelse »

For some time I had been able to avoid repeating reminders by deferring them for 9999 days when they first appeared. However after upgrading to Thunderbird 3.0b3 this no longer works. The solution posted by sterndata sounds perfect ...
I right clicked on the remote calendar

I'm assuming the "remote calendar" is the Lightning calendar as displayed in Thunderbird, but when I right-click this there are no options. Clicking on actual events below the calendar gives me only options to Open, Convert to and Delete event. Are you able to clarify exactly where you're right-clicking?

Thanks,

::Leigh
http://www.else.co.nz/
EPotterMozillaZine

Post by EPotterMozillaZine »

I was obviously having this problem as well. When I set up my calendars I selected to have the (experimental) cache enabled in the per-calendar options. Honestly I am not sure what having the cache enabled does. I was under the impression that it would allow me to view my calendars when offline, however, when I disabled the cache it appears that I was still able to view my calendars while offline. Anywho ... when I disabled the cache for the calendar that contained the event that I could not dismiss the event stopped popping up.

I currently have my calendars set up to sync with my Google calendars. While trying to figure out how to solve the problem of not being able to snooze or dismiss this item I logged into my Google calendar directly and I noticed that this event had been deleted from the Google calendar.

Since it seems that some people have been having this problem even though their calendars are only local (not syncing with any other calendars) it appears that this problem is with Thunderbird/Lighting itself.

I do find it a little alarming also that an event would somehow be deleted from my Google calendar as I, like some others have stated, like to keep the event on the calendar in case I need to refer back to it for some reason.

My only other thought at this time is that perhaps these two problems (unable to snooze and/or item being deleted on my Google calendar) might somehow be related to a communication problem between the two "clients?"

Hope this helps others having the same problem.

Also if there is anyone else who can reproduce this and report it hopefully we can help the developers resolve this issues.

Cheers
leighelse

Post by leighelse »

For the moment things are fine. The behaviour became so annoying I removed Lightning from my Thunderbird installation. This isn't a good way to resolve the problem, and I'm hoping for a better solution in a later release.
scotwitt

Post by scotwitt »

I was having many of the same issues...in fact, I had several other symptoms:

1. Could not select de-select a calendar.
2. Any New Item came up in the Task Dialog
3. None of the calendar Items displayed in the Calendar section of the Calendar page- only as Tasks or above in linear format.

I had been synching with two Google Calendars and a Windows Mobile 6.1 Smartphone with BirdieSynch (which always failed synching after connecting to my PC.

Steps I took (shutting down and restarted T-Bird at appropriate times):

A. Uninstalled and reinstalled Lightning 0.9
B. Reinstalling T-Bird 2.0 over the existing application.
C. Disabled Google Calendar Provider
D. Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Calendar Provider
E. Moved storage.sdb to another area on my hard drive- worked creating a new file, but everything was still hosed.
F. Moving signons.txt, copying it back to the profiles directory and attempting to remove very old Zindus IDs and passwords from a former job.

Nothing worked, so I restored everything to the original condition and tried something else. Here's what repaired it:

A. Download and installed SQL Light Manager at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817
B. Opened Storage.sdb.I forgot that I added Canadian Holidays when I worked for a Canadian Company last year and had been manually deleting those holidays from Lightning. I saw them in the cal_events table. Each Holiday had three records, and all three records have the same time last modified field value. I selected them, deleted them and everything went back to normal.
EPotterMozillaZine

Post by EPotterMozillaZine »

At this time I have nine different Google calenders (same account) sync'ing with Thunderbird/Lightning. They are all set up through Thunderbird/Lightning (using the CalDAV setting). Not using the Provider addon or any other addon for sync with Google calendar. Iin addition to the issues stated in my previous post I would also experience a lag (freeze -- thunderbird not responding). After I disable the cache option everything seems to be working perfectly. I can update my calendar from Thunderbird, Google, or my phone and all the other calendars get updated. Again I hope my suggestion was able to help someone.

Take care, keep in good health and in good spirits!!
-Ed
alien_life_form

Post by alien_life_form »

I have the same problem with reminders originating from recurring appointments in Google calendars. The reminders cannot be dismissed. The debug console reports a "missing attribute 'start date'" diagnostic.

Chhers,
alf
presStr

Post by presStr »

I too have that issue with reminder from recurring calendar events except I'm getting an error that says modification_failed and a related warning that says "Warning: There has been an error reading data for calendar: Google Cal. Error code: CAL_IS_READONLY.".
presStr

Post by presStr »

Ignore my bleatings above! I found the obvious check-box...