Sync Lightning with iPhone or Smart Phone

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
JWC424

Sync Lightning with iPhone or Smart Phone

Post by JWC424 »

Has anyone successfully been able to get their Mozilla Lightning calendar to sync up with an iPhone or other smart phone such as Blackberry? I'm looking to purchase an iPhone or smart phone but am hesitant to do so because I'm using Lightning and really like it.
petenz

Re: Sync Lightning with iPhone or Smart Phone

Post by petenz »

I haven't tried to use it with an iphone or smartphone, but I can see myself considering a similar purchase at some point in the next year or so. I'm pretty much going to hang out to see what phones running google's Android OS will be like - being an open platform it's possible syncing could be more do-able... or perhaps less initially! Time will tell but I'm happy to wait to put my money behind a open phone platform.
gyffes

Post by gyffes »

I have the iPod Touch and I'm sycning now via an unholy kludge of the following:

* I have several google calendars that are sync'd to iCal (subscription)

(so, data goes gcal -> iCal)

* Any calendar entries I make on my Touch are pushed at sync to iCal, which then publishes that specific ("From Touch") calendar to the web (iCalx.com)

(iCal -> web)

* Sunbird then subscribes to the iCalx calendar

(iCalx -> Sunbird)

* Sunbird then subscribes to the google calendars

(gCal -> Sunbird)

Within Sunbird, I change the calendar designation of the From Touch item to "Main Google" calendar and Provider pushes that change to google

(Sunbird -> gCal)

Now, if I want, I can open iCal and delete the FROM TOUCH event as iCal will pull down the new 'version' of that event from google.

This sounds awful but works mostly transparently. The problem is having to have both Sunbird AND iCal open for it to happen. I'm currently experimenting with Lightning to see if it will replace at least Sunbird in this scenario but a wealth of problems seem to be making it a non-starter (I'm not sure Provider works with Lightning, for example, and it's only displaying one of 4 gCalendars).

So, it can be done. If you're a Mac user, the iPhone's pretty awesome. If your main machine is a PC or linuxbox, there might be better options.
Name's Bush, Ted Bush.

No, I'm not related.
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

I have Lighting synching with Google Calendar. Then I can view it in my Instinct phone or make changes.

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
gyffes

Post by gyffes »

Right, but for iPhone (or ipod Touch in my case), you need something that uses the Apple Sync Services; hence my need to push/pull everything through iCal.
Name's Bush, Ted Bush.

No, I'm not related.
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

Check out Spanning Sync. I don't use it, but it synchs iCal with Google Calendar. Of course it will not be free.

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
gyffes

Post by gyffes »

Ok, just a note to say: I can't do it. Lightning may say it's v0.8, but it's as robust and stable as a 0.3; the inability to dismiss alarms and its insistence on notifying me of events a month old is tough enough to deal with but it doesn't really WORK with Provider, so it's rendering my linked gCals READ ONLY, sorta mooting the point.

Back to Sunbird (despite its problems) for now. At least that was syncing both ways.
Name's Bush, Ted Bush.

No, I'm not related.
MCShults

Post by MCShults »

I was able to get this done with funambol. There is an iphone app for it, as well as a Sunbird (also works for Lightning) add-on. It syncs Calendar, tasks, and (Thunderbird) contacts and is the best solution I've been able to find to sync my iPhone 3GS with Sunbird/Lightning/Thunderbird.

Check out a youtube video on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OLFLLBRUo4

Their site at funambol.com is off-putting-ly generic as it is not specifically focused on the specific device and software we want to use, but if you dig around a lot it tells you what you want to hear too http://www.funambol.com/solutions/mobilebackup.php
georgina

Post by georgina »

Haven't tried it honestly. I'm scared to do anything to my iphone or anything in the computer.

Regards,
Georgina
[url=http:// .net/placement-financier]placement-financier[/url]
alupka

Post by alupka »

Not sure about iPhone, but I Sync my lightning calendar and contacts DIRECTLY to my Moto Q (Windows Mobile) with a program called BirdieSync. I just plug my phone in to USB on my PC and it automatically syncs. I don't need to go to gmail or the web as I don't even have a data plan for my phone. I think this app works via bluetooth as well, but I hate the hassles of bluetooth, so I have it disabled.

It's great, because I schedule my appointments in the morning at my desk in Lightning, sync my phone (less than 30 seconds), then hit the road. BirdieSync is a small app that cost about 30 bucks or less, and works flawlessly. Also, it syncs to the normal contacts and calendar on my phone -- not a separate application. The only thing that installs on the phone is the synchronization service similar to ActiveSync.
pidg

Post by pidg »

JWC424 wrote:Has anyone successfully been able to get their Mozilla Lightning calendar to sync up with an iPhone or other smart phone such as Blackberry? I'm looking to purchase an iPhone or smart phone but am hesitant to do so because I'm using Lightning and really like it.

You can try this

http://www.sync-iphone.com/contacts-cal ... rbird.html

Don't know if that helps
valeriek

Post by valeriek »

pidg wrote:
JWC424 wrote:Has anyone successfully been able to get their Mozilla Lightning calendar to sync up with an iPhone or other smart phone such as Blackberry? I'm looking to purchase an iPhone or smart phone but am hesitant to do so because I'm using Lightning and really like it.

You can try this
http://www.sync-iphone.com/contacts-cal ... rbird.htmlVoip Service Providers Business Voip Phone SystemDon't know if that helps

Val
Global Calendar

Post by Global Calendar »

Didn't try of this yet. Absolutely a good idea to start ! :) Many thanks to this thread and it helps!
ValSanders

Post by ValSanders »

alupka wrote:Not sure about iPhone, but I Sync my lightning calendar and contacts DIRECTLY to my Moto Q (Windows Mobile) with a program called BirdieSync. I just plug my phone in to USB on my PC and it automatically syncs. I don't need to go to gmail or the web as I don't even have a data plan for my phone. I think this app works via bluetooth as well, but I hate the hassles of bluetooth, so I have it disabled. Business Phone System International VoIP Calls

It's great, because I schedule my appointments in the morning at my desk in Lightning, sync my phone (less than 30 seconds), then hit the road. BirdieSync is a small app that cost about 30 bucks or less, and works flawlessly. Also, it syncs to the normal contacts and calendar on my phone -- not a separate application. The only thing that installs on the phone is the synchronization service similar to ActiveSync.

This looks pretty handy, but does anykne know how well it works if you do use bluetooth?

I got a bluetooth dongle for my PC a while back, so I feel like I should really use it, you know?
Last edited by ValSanders on December 27th, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Val
valeriek

Post by valeriek »

ValSanders wrote:
alupka wrote:Not sure about iPhone, but I Sync my lightning calendar and contacts DIRECTLY to my Moto Q (Windows Mobile) with a program called BirdieSync. I just plug my phone in to USB on my PC and it automatically syncs. I don't need to go to gmail or the web as I don't even have a data plan for my phone. I think this app works via bluetooth as well, but I hate the hassles of bluetooth, so I have it disabled.

This looks pretty handy, but does anykne know how well it works if you do use bluetooth?
I got a bluetooth dongle for my PC a while back, so I feel like I should really use it, you know?

Val
Last edited by valeriek on March 1st, 2015, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.