Sync Lightning with iPhone or Smart Phone

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
valeriek

Re: Sync Lightning with iPhone or Smart Phone

Post by valeriek »

ValSanders wrote:Business Long Distance ~ sip service
alupka wrote:Not sure about iPhone, but I Sync my lightning calendar and contacts DIRECTLY to my Moto Q (Windows Mobile) with a program called BirdieSync. I just plug my phone in to USB on my PC and it automatically syncs. I don't need to go to gmail or the web as I don't even have a data plan for my phone. I think this app works via bluetooth as well, but I hate the hassles of bluetooth, so I have it disabled.
It's great, because I schedule my appointments in the morning at my desk in Lightning, sync my phone (less than 30 seconds), then hit the road. BirdieSync is a small app that cost about 30 bucks or less, and works flawlessly. Also, it syncs to the normal contacts and calendar on my phone -- not a separate application. The only thing that installs on the phone is the synchronization service similar to ActiveSync.

This looks pretty handy, but does anykne know how well it works if you do use bluetooth?
I got a bluetooth dongle for my PC a while back, so I feel like I should really use it, you know?

Val
Last edited by valeriek on March 1st, 2015, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninvan

Post by Daninvan »

OK I know this is an old thread but I have been having some trouble with this.

I want to sync my Lightning calendar that I have been using happily for ages, on my PC with my calendar on my new iPhone 4.

I'm running Vista with Thunderbird 3.1.7 with the latest versions of Lightning and Provider added on, so it should sync with gmail. My iPhone is running 4.2.1 and I have set it up to use Exchange to sync with my google calendar only, not gmail mail or contacts. (I only set up a gmail account since it seems that the only way to sync Lightning with the iPhone calendar is via google calendar. I never intend to look at my google calendar again once this is all running smoothly.)

So I have two problems with this.

I can add new events to my calendar in Lightning and have them appear on my iPhone calendar and vice-versa. What I cannot do is get any new events that I receive from others in Thunderbird and accept into my Lightning calendar, to appear on my iPhone. It appears to me that such events are not "getting out" of Lightning/Provider and making their way to my google calendar. I say this since when I look at my google calendar such events are not shown, whereas ones that I have generated myself are shown.

The other problem is that only new events are going from Lightning to the iphone calendar. Since I have been using Lightning'Thunderbird for a long time, there are lots of events each day that I would like to sync with my iPhone calendar. But this is not happening and I am not sure how to make it happen.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan
dandv

Post by dandv »

BirdieSync can synch with the iPhone over a local wireless connection, without using the cloud. It costs 20 EUR.
Stephen_C

Post by Stephen_C »

I second BirdieSync - it works really well on Android as well and is worth the money.

Stephen
discover

Post by discover »

JWC424 wrote:Has anyone successfully been able to get their Mozilla Lightning calendar to sync up with an iPhone or other smart phone such as Blackberry?

Meanwhile, I have found:

http://www.birdiesync.com

This may be intersting for you, especially if you do not like to sych via Cloud/Internet but locally (as I prefer).