Merge Calendars within Lightning

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
oddboy2001

Merge Calendars within Lightning

Post by oddboy2001 »

Hi,

I use the Lightning add-on with Thunderbird and am keen to try and syncronize my calendars with Google. I have added on the Google Provider add-on but find that this creates a new calendar.

Is there a way to syncronize/merge my existing Lightning calendars (called Personal and Work) and syncronize/merge them with the calendar that gets created when I install the Google Provider add-on?

Thanks
ssitter

Re: Merge Calendars within Lightning

Post by ssitter »

I suggest to export the calendars to the iCalendar format and import the .ics file into the target calendar.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

ssitter wrote:I suggest to export the calendars to the iCalendar format and import the .ics file into the target calendar.
excuse me sir/ma'am for butting in: how does 1 understand where/what the format is?
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I assume the best would be to transfer all your information in your Google calendar so you can see it with your phone.
Detailed instructions:

1. Select the "Personal" local calendar.
Right-click and choose "Export calendar". The default format for the written file will be of the ".ics" format.

2. Import the data you just saved in your Google Calendar (the personal calendar). You may do it in either Google or Thunderbird.
2a. Importing via Thunderbird
– Under "Events and Tasks", select "Import"
– Import the ".ics" file you created a few minutes ago (it may take a few minutes if you have lots of data)
– Select the calendar into which you want to place the data.

3. Do the same for your "Work" calendar. If you want to keep your work calendar separate from your personal one, visit Google calendar and create a second calendar for your work data. Then export the work data from Thunderbird/Lightning and import it into the Work calendar you just created on Google.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
figother83

Post by figother83 »

Hi!
New to this thread.
I was also having the same problem. Thanks for sharing the information. It is very helpful to me.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

walkerpbus wrote:
ssitter wrote:I suggest to export the calendars to the iCalendar format and import the .ics file into the target calendar.
excuse me sir/ma'am for butting in: how does 1 understand where/what the format is?
They use a Search engine. They come with every browser.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iCalendar+format
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5