Sunbird/Calendar - Minimize to tray

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:What about adding the ability to pick the icons that appear in the tray?

I believe you are making the same suggestion as Arterion
I would prefer if someone more artistic than myself sent me two nice icons, I would be happy to change my crappy icons for something different, seriously I made them in 5 minutes and I wouldn't mind having something different either. Otherwise if you all insist on having the option, I spose I could see what I can do.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan wrote:
Lazlo Woodbine wrote:What about adding the ability to pick the icons that appear in the tray?

I believe you are making the same suggestion as Arterion

Um, yeah, oops!

An easy way to do this might be to do this might be to have the icons external to the program. Something like suntraymin.ico and suntraymax.ico. Then it would be easy to change them.

One of the great things about the Mozilla products is how customisable they are. It would be nice if your program could be as customisable, so that I could match my tray icon to my customised Sunbird.
oddman

Post by oddman »

Hey Oneman, I'll include a very brief description of the original problem (to save you from scrolling up :) ) and the reply to your fixes.

1) Weird folder interaction instead of Sunbird interaction when folder open.
1a) Yes the folder name is Mozilla Sunbird! Anyway, I agree that this is a trivial problem.

2) Starting minimized even when not used in start-up.
2a) You corrected exactly as I thought was appropriate, glad that we agreed.

3) Sunbird not shutting down when exiting from Suntray.
3a) So, for those of you following along, the command line will look something like this ""....suntray.exe" -Start -Exit". The Capitalization is important. As is adding the exit option to the same command line as the start option. At any rate that is what it took to get it all to work correctly for me, just FYI. Thanks Oneman.

4) odd browser action.
4a) I could never reproduce it consistently, so thanks for looking into it, I'm sure the fix is fine.

On to some of the suggestions from other posts.

Hot-key.
You can set a "ctl-alt-random key" hotkey combo for any windows shortcut, of course "random key" is whatever you choose. Just select properties from the right click menu for the shortcut, click on the field for "shortcut" and press the key combo you want. In Microsoft's help, there is info for DOS hot keys and a list of keys that you can't use. I'm using "ctl-alt-z" easy on the fingers and works like a charm, especially with Oneman's new hide/show every time you try to run Suntray (which now looks *very* clever Oneman.)

Single vs. Double click.
With the hot-key and show/hide combo this seems less urgent to me. But hey, I'm all for choice if the programmer can swing it, so don't count my opinion as a vote against single-click show/hide.

New Icon.
Why not use the Sunbird logo/icon? Nice and bright. But this isn't a big deal for me either.

Wow... long post. Hope it was worth the read.
HEy Oneman, good luck with the job interview.
Arterion

Post by Arterion »

OneMan wrote:*new* feature added to 0.4 - I couldn't really go up another version on the same day.
Starting suntray, when there is already a copy open, causes Show/Hide to occur instead.
I reckon this is clever.

Thanks! This will make things a lot easier for me. :-) I can just click the icon in my objectdock.
-Arterion
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Cheers oddman, some things to mention
1) - A fix to the silly folder bug is coming, I finally got off my ass and did the 3 or 4 clicks that was necessary to find out what the class name was called, MozillaUIWindowClass apparently. So that will be fixed soon. Suntray should continue to work with both versions of SunBird
2) - I will probably address the issue of capitalization in the parameters as well. I'll make it so it does't matter, but you will still have to spell the options correctly. :)
3) - Hotkey, I was hesitant to hardcode in a hotkey, as it was bound to conflict with something, or ppl would want it set to different things, oddmans solution sounds ideal for anyone who wanted this feature.
4) - I have decided that I will add a customize icon option. It will be something like "extIcon" as a parameter, and then it will use two icons with certain names in its folder. Still be good if someone was to send me a nice set of icons to use though!
5) - Single click, depends on how I feel. Not a priority.

Cheers again to everyone who has said nice things, it makes me feel like my effort has been worthwhile. Any other issues or requests?

Dunno when i'll get the above done, stay tuned.
oddman

Post by oddman »

Thanks, oneman.

Mind if I start a new thread soliciting icons for you?
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Yeah sure, just need an icon for when hidden, and when not hidden. Be good if I can make 0.5 a really nice complete version.
spark

Post by spark »

Wouldn't this functionality be nice as part of Sunbird itself? (like MS Outlook).
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

spark - Yes it would, and a similar story goes for thunderbird, for which u can get an app called thundertray. Whilst I'm not "in the know" I believe this is because of the cross platform nature of the mozilla apps. Minimizing to tray is a very ms windows specific task, and as such is not a focus.
I might be totally wrong.

But then I believe that on the to-do list for sunbird is having the alarms work when sunbird itself isn't running. So maybe it will be built in eventually, and my app will become obsolete. :(
Last edited by OneMan on July 16th, 2004, 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
oddman

Post by oddman »

Why not submit your app for consideration *as* the functionality?
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Command line option -Start doesn't work for me.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:Command line option -Start doesn't work for me.

well I assume you had the capitlization correct, and the program placed in the correct folder, so the other thing I can think of is that this may be linked to the folder bug, that is if you had the sunbird folder open. If you experience the folder bug, which i never have, its because suntray thinks the folder is sunbird, and if it sees it open, it won't try to reopen sunbird. A fix for the folder bug is coming.
If it doesn't work for some other reason, well, shit. So does it still not work with Sunbird folder closed?

oddman - a true solution would be integrated into sunbird, my app manipulates it externally. I don't think they'd like to have the functionality provided by another executable. Although, if someone was to write an extension for sunbird that added an option to the options menu, that had the ability to start suntray, it would be nearly seamless. But I don't even know how possible that is, I'm not familiar with extensions, and would seem risky security wise, allowing an extension that started an executable.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

New version 0.45 - Cos no new features
Fixed the folder bug, I believe. Changed a lot of internal behaviour, created a lot of bugs, and hopefully fixed them. Capitalisation of command line options should not matter, but spelling still important :). Customizing Icons coming soon.

Lazlo - Any Luck?

Cheers Fellas
- Steve
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Sorry to those who downloaded 0.45, I actually done a bit more today then I was going to. And as a result, CUSTOM ICONS IS DONE :D
Version 0.5 is there! I'm pretty happy with it.

Please read the instructions for customizing icons.

Other than single click, which I don't think I can be buggered doing, I've fulfilled all requests (I believe) so I don't know if there is anything else for me to do? Hopefully no bugs??

If you like it, let me know. Its always good to hear.
http://users.dart.net.au/~srgeorg/
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan wrote:Lazlo - Any Luck?

It does seem to work now, but the startup of Sunbird takes about a couple of minutes!