Sunbird/Calendar - Minimize to tray

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
oddman

Post by oddman »

So have you thought about setting up a preferences menu?
By my count we've got 4 parameters to attach to the command line, which is kind of alot. Mind you, typing four letters and then forgetting about it is not much of a pain I'm just suggesting a slightly easier, more polished look and feel.

How'd that job interview go?
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

ewww, don't bring that up. not so good. But it was my first ever job interview, so hopefully I got some experience from it for future interviews.

Yeah I know what you mean about a preferences menu. But I don't think I will, because I'd have to remember the settings somewhere, which would bring another file into the picture. At the moment its just the exe, and the settings are stored in the shortcut, its simple, quick and easy.

maybe one day.
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

Just downloaded it yesterday and I have to say its great - it makes using Sunbird practical for me. But (you knew there'd be a but...) there is one strange thing I've noticed - it launches (and shows if hidden) Sunbird in a 600x800 window, even if the window was maximised (1024x768 in my case) when it was hidden. Any reason/idea why? A quick skim of this forum didn't find any similar comments so maybe its just me?

I'm using windows xp and the sunbird optimised build with - Start - Exit - Single in the command line in case that's of any use.

Thanks again for making Suntray - I might get around to doing some icons for it as I have a fair bit of spare time right now (recently became a former student)
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Yep, you found a bug. I reckon I probably caused the bug with the last set of changes, hence noone had mentioned it.

it should be fixed now?
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

Yep - it's fixed. Cheers
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

I've made some icons for the system tray and a desktop shortcut - nothing too imaginitive, just a reworking of the calendr idea in the icons that come with the app - see http://www.asinen.com/test/sunico.htm if you're interested.

If anyone uses them I'd be interested to know if you get the black line around the system tray icons shown in the screenshots. Its a 24 bit icon with 8 bit transparency and the line shouldn't be there - and in windows explorer it isn't - it just shows up in the system tray for some reason, which is weird.
oddman

Post by oddman »

black line? Do you mean the shade effect along the bottom and right sides of the icon?

I get them too.
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

There should be shading along the bottom and right, but on my pc there's a black line around three sides (its at the top as well as on the right and bottom). I'm talking about the tray icons only, you can see it in the screenshot (http://www.asinen.com/test/trayoff.jpg).

It might just be from an earlier stage of the icon - Windows doesn't seem to update the way an icon has changed unless you actually change the name too and to make them work in the systray obviously the name hsa to be SThidden etc. I wouldn't mind but its the transparency that takes a bit of time and effort to do :( If it's ok on your system then at least its not the icon that's wrong and I can probably get them to update by putting them directly into the app using ResHack or somthing.

[edit] thinking about it that's probably why they look right in windows explorer, where things do get updated automatically. I'll have a fiddle with it
oddman

Post by oddman »

I see no black lines around my systray icons except where you said they should be :)

Have you tried the windows wonder cure? reboot. ;)
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Looked fine on my system as well. Although I would swap them around, so the empty looking one is when suntray is "empty", and the other for when suntray is "holding" calendar.

Now would you like me to consider using these as the default icons, with full credit to you of course, or I can add a link to your site on the SunTray page as suggested custom icons.

Anyway, I'm off, uni has restarted :(
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

oddman wrote:Have you tried the windows wonder cure? reboot. ;)

Many, many times :| but in this case it doesn't seem to work - still if everyone else is ok...

OneMan - by all means use the icons as defaults for suntray if you like (maybe this will solve my black lines?) or add a link - whichever suits you best. Btw I agree about swapping them round - the way I did it made sense to me at the time, when I was thinking of the plain one as being like a cover on a closed calendar but I think you're right about the empty/full association and the one with the calendar detail looks prettier to be sitting in the tray most of the time. I'll change the names in the download zip when I get round to it
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Having the same problem that was mentioned before! Sunbird takes ages with the -Start command line option. If I remove it, Suntray starts instantly, and when I click Show/Hide Sunbird starts instantly as well.

I have an Athlon XP 3200+ with 1GB of RAM. Windows XP Pro w/ Service Pack 1.
I have Mozilla Sunbird 0.1.1+. And I'm using the Suntray v0.5 optimized for Sunbird.
If you can read this, you're too close.
http://www.cin3ma.tv
Browser: Firefox 1.0.7
E-mail: Thunderbird Version 1.0.7
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Seriously, a couple minutes to start up? That is shithouse. I don't really have any idea why it would be that bad, I'll have another look into it.
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Thanks OneMan. I know you're gonna be busy these days, but I thought I'd help out by reporting this.
It doesn't take minutes, but it takes a significant amout of time--I just timed it and it took about 40-50 seconds to load up (as opposed to the usual 4-5 seconds). I also noticed that the CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays constant in that period of time.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to try out.
If you can read this, you're too close.
http://www.cin3ma.tv
Browser: Firefox 1.0.7
E-mail: Thunderbird Version 1.0.7
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Hit 300 pageloads today!

dashrendar I put up a test version for you, in white, but i'm not very hopeful. let me know.

http://users.dart.net.au/~srgeorg/