Sunbird/Calendar - Minimize to tray

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
spark

Post by spark »

OneMan wrote:spark - Yes it would, and a similar story goes for thunderbird, for which u can get an app called thundertray. Whilst I'm not "in the know" I believe this is because of the cross platform nature of the mozilla apps. Minimizing to tray is a very ms windows specific task, and as such is not a focus.
I might be totally wrong.

But then I believe that on the to-do list for sunbird is having the alarms work when sunbird itself isn't running. So maybe it will be built in eventually, and my app will become obsolete. :(

I think it's more relevent for the calender then email client (because of alarms as you say). It's doesn't matter that it's Windows specific - remember Quick Launch (part of Mozilla the suite). Perhaps you could consider rewriting your app as part of Sunbird (if the devs agree that is)?
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

A couple of minutes?? Thats poor. a couple seconds on my system. I don't really know why that would be. If that is on starting windows it could be because you have other applications starting up, antivirus and such, things generally start slower as windows is starting up. If it does that all the time, well, shit.

Anyway, i'm off to bed.

Spark - i agree that it is more relevant, mind you I was about to ditch thunderbird before i found thundertray. And now using suntray I now have a solution that fits my needs perfectly. My concentration on this project will seriously lapse in a couple weeks once I get back in to uni, so yeah the future time I spend on this will become limited. If you wanted to send a message to the devs pointing out that I have made a solution to the problem, feel free, and I would be interested to know what they think of it, or if they are interested in somehow combining my solution with future windows version releases.

mmm bed.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan wrote:A couple of minutes?? Thats poor. a couple seconds on my system. I don't really know why that would be. If that is on starting windows it could be because you have other applications starting up, antivirus and such, things generally start slower as windows is starting up. If it does that all the time, well, shit.

This happens all the time, not just at startup. My CPU is an Athlon XP 2400+, so it's not the problem.
Arterion

Post by Arterion »

Any possibility of a keystroke command to activiate show/hide feature? Maybe windows+c (for calendar)?

:-)
-Arterion
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Arterion wrote:Any possibility of a keystroke command to activiate show/hide feature? Maybe windows+c (for calendar)?

From the webpage:

" Handy Feature - Opening SunTray when its is already open will instead call a Show/Hide operation. This means:
- Any shortcut to SunTray can be used to Show/Hide Sunbird.
- HOT KEY!! - In the shortcut properties set a HotKey for the shortcut. Fully Customizeable."
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Lazlo, I've had a bit of a look in to it, but I still don't know why it would take so long. However I can suggest one other option that is available to you, this will work if you are wanting to start sunbird on startup.

add shortcut to suntray in startup menu as normal, but leave out the start option
add another shortcut in startup menu, this time to sunbird, but in properties set it to start minimized. This will then cause it to be hidden straight away.

This may work faster for you? Although this is only useful for starting on startup.
If you have suntray running and not sunbird, does using the show/hide command also start sunbird really slowly?
**Added a sunbird only version, may be slightly faster, but doubtful if it will really speed you up all that much.

Arterion = *slap*, though it is restricted to ctrl+alt+YourChoice. I've actually had limited success with this, although I think its something to do with my windows installation rather than suntray. Sometimes it works nicely, sometimes not.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan,

Suntray actually crashed Explorer on startup this morning. :(
Something here is NOT happy with suntray starting up.

Will try the separate startup option, as you suggested.

If you have suntray running and not sunbird, does using the show/hide command also start sunbird really slowly?

No, it's nearly instantaneous.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:Will try the separate startup option, as you suggested.

This isn't a solution either, at least not currently, because Sunbird will NOT start minimised from any shortcut.
It always starts full screen. This would be a solution if the Sunbird developers fixed this problem.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

yeah, i've had to mess around with that a bit to, I'd forgotten about this. If you close the program when it is maximised, it always tries to start maximized. Solution = close sunbird in a restore(set the size to whatever you want it) state, and it should start minimized if you tell it to.
I'd forgotten about this because i don't run it maximised, if you do run it maximised when u use the Start option you will also see sunbird flash on the screen before it becomes hidden, its my dodgy workaround of it refusing to start minimized.
oddman

Post by oddman »

hey oneman,
check this out.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=390

I'm going to start using the 16x16 that MarkCarson whips together here.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=570
look for the post dated Tue 20th Jul 2004 1:32pm. I like the image on the right (the calendar has a broader boarder.)
oddman

Post by oddman »

Oh...

If anyone needs to convert the PNGs from the previous links to ICOs this little program works well.
http://towofu.s5.xrea.com/soft/e-index.html#download
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Yep very nice icons to use for custom icons. I switch from red(Visible) to green(Hidden) versions, and it looks very nice.

So all is running smoothly for everyone? Good.
oddman

Post by oddman »

Looks like you've got a winner!

Nicely done Oneman.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

One Small feature I just added to 0.5, so its now a little different to what you all have, "Single", show/hide with a single click, and now that i've done it, I like it.
Does anyone use any calendar version other than sunbird?

http://www.dart.net.au/users/srgeorg/

As usual let me know if anything weird happens, otherwise I'll just assume all is good.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Oh and another one that i'd forgotten, I don't know if you'd actually want to use it, but "noMin", means it won't hide when minimized, so you can still have Sunbird sitting in your taskbar if you want to, and will only minimize to tray if you tell it to.

This ones there because I was thinking about another feature which a very nice person requested, was to intercept the call to close sunbird, and instead minimize to tray. But it gets a bit involved, and I don't think I'll get it done.