Sunbird/Calendar - Minimize to tray

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Hey OneMan, thanks for the update.

I just tried the dashrendar version, and it still has the problem. The time has been reduced to 25-30 seconds upon initial load. It also takes about 10-15 seconds when reloaded (cached in memory.)

Usually, Sunbird takes no more than 5 seconds to load "initially" using Suntray without the -Start option.

Let me know if you wanna experiment with it more. And congrats on the 300 pageloads. :)
If you can read this, you're too close.
http://www.cin3ma.tv
Browser: Firefox 1.0.7
E-mail: Thunderbird Version 1.0.7
rP2

Post by rP2 »

the start takes about 1 minute on my system.. normally 5 seconds.

win xp, sp1, suntray0.5
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Ok dashrendar and rP2, try the new ultra supercharged dashrendar version, find in white on main page, uploaded 20 mins ago.
I'm actually more hopeful that this may solve you problem, because its bloody quick on my system.

let me know how it goes. especially if its broken in any way.
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Woohoo, you're a genius man! It works great here! I just tested it and it takes no more than 5 seconds to load Sunbird the first time (with the -Start) option, and about 1-2 seconds to reload it a second time.

Thanks a lot OneMan, and keep it up. I hope it works for rP2 too.
rP2

Post by rP2 »

Yes, incredibly fast... Great work!
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Great!
So there is 0.6 on the webpage now, contains the speed fix, the nice set of icons by jakamoto as default for suntray. Thanks for those.
Also allows for the new executable name that future sunbird versions will have. "sunbird.exe" instead of "MozillaSunbird.exe" so you will need this version when you upgrade.
Also there is no more sunbird only build, it was an attempt a faster speed that didn't have much affect. However, the other versions of calendar haven't been tested much, so let me know if there are problems.

http://www.dart.net.au/users/srgeorg/

Cheers
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

I felt kinda special having a version of a piece of software named after me. :oops:
Suntray "dashrendar"... I was up there with OSX Panther and Windows Longhorn, man!

Anyway, thanks, OneMan.... will definitely let you know if something comes up.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan wrote: so let me know if there are problems.

BIG problems here I'm sorry to report, although the -Start option doesn't take forever now.

Suntray causes serious issues on my PC with WindowBlinds: graphical corruption, unresponsive windows.
This version is completely unusable.
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

*sigh*

and you have not had this problem with any of the other versions?
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

Seems to be working fine for me, and it is quicker. I hadn't really noticed before as I have it in the startup folder and there's wuite a lot of programs running at startup anyway, but now suntray is one of the first to appear. I still have black lines round the tray icon though :( Still I'm gettin kinda fond of them now...
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

OneMan wrote:*sigh*

and you have not had this problem with any of the other versions?

In hindsight, I think that I did have some problems with earlier versions. It's just far more pronounced with this version.

Windowblinds repaints of the screen just go screwy, the Suntray icon becomes invisible and the whole desktop becomes unresponsive. Even attempting to open task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del leads to an error. As you can imagine, this makes things more difficult to manage neatly.
Jakamoko

Post by Jakamoko »

OneMan - just had a look at your webpage and saw you request for a Gmail account - an invite should be on its way. Enjoy...
OneMan

Post by OneMan »

Cheers Jakamoko, you legend.

Lazlo, I'm not sure what I can do about that. Does just having suntray running, without "start" and without opening sunbird screw it up? Or does it screw up after starting/hiding/showing sunbird?
oddman

Post by oddman »

WOW!!

Suntray/Sunbird now start-up instantly. I mean there is barely anytime at all between clicking on suntray with "-start" enabled and both programs being available.

Brilliant job Oneman.
GoMozilla

Post by GoMozilla »

OneMan, you are an absolute genius!!!^_^ This has been a feature I have been looking for in Sunbird, well... Since I installed it!^_^ Wow! Great job! I believe this would be a lot more complex... But I wonder if there is a tool like this available for Thunderbird...:-?