Problems getting Firefox to load sites

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
dfoulkes

Problems getting Firefox to load sites

Post by dfoulkes »

OK... some basics.

1. Older Nexus tablet (only 2 gig mem) ..but it's not over-burdened
2. The problem is more recent.... did not do this before.
3. I'm in various news feeds and a report may have a highlighted item that opens up in a browser. I tap on it and my tablet displays a choice to open in Firefox (or Chrome) (just once or all the time) ... and I choose once. Firefox opens up and loads something real short and then just hangs and it could hang for hours if I let it. In other words it never loads the link.
4. This now happens all the time. This morning I decided to let Chrome open the link and it worked fine.
5. So, I got out of the news feed(s) and opened up Firefox and then went back into those news feeds and did the same thing with using Firefox to read the highlighted item and Firefox now loaded that item.

So, it seems that in trying to use Firefox to open up active items in the news feeds (without having Firefox already running) has a problem... a timing issue of sorts?

So, anybody have a clue as to what the issue is with Firefox? ... Also, I clear all cache etc. every time I close Firefox... so, it's not a cache issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Gort

Re: Problems getting Firefox to load sites

Post by Gort »

My wife's Android tablet and my Android phone suffer the same. She and I have Firefox for Android as our defaults. Like you, if Firefox is closed and we open the Gmail app and click on a link within the emails, then what you describe happens within the Gmail app (Gmail is meant to use the default browser to open links), with the page refusing to load. If Firefox is running in the background, then the link opens fine. Setting another browser, like Firefox Focus, as default opens the link, too.

Might it be some security issue that's been recently implemented by Firefox, but which has caused unintended consequences?

It seems to be the last version update that caused this, because I don't remember this happening previously. Mind you, I've not really noticed this myself because I tend to always have Firefox running when I'm checking my emails, so didn't see this issue in my usage, but when my wife started complaining about it recently, then I checked for myself and came to your conclusions. Very strange.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I think you are right about it having to do with the last update...the problem seems to be a recent one. My basic problem is the lack of memory so I don't normally run Firefox in the background.
Gort

Post by Gort »

In case you didn't know, there seems to be a bug report about this issue: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1496684
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for the update on the bug.